Nov. 4, 2010
|Oklahoma (17-7, 9-4 Big 12) at No. 8 Texas (16-5, 11-2 Big 12)|
|Date||Saturday, November 6, 2010 | 4 p.m. CT|
|Location||Gregory Gym | Austin, Texas|
|Tickets||Available for $10|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma volleyball team travels to Austin, Texas Saturday to face eighth-ranked Texas in a 4 p.m. CT matchup at Gregory Gym. Live stats are available at SoonerSports.com.
Oklahoma looks to rebound from a 3-1 loss at Texas A&M Wednesday evening. The Longhorns previously defeated the Sooners 3-1 (25-19, 28-30, 17-25, 23-25) on Oct. 13. Suzy Boulavsky had 15 kills for OU, and Brianne Barker was one kill shy of the first triple-double in Sooner history with nine kills, 40 assists and 11 digs. Sallie McLaurin added nine kills and had a match-high seven blocks.
OU is 17-1 all-time against Texas in Austin as the Longhorns lead the series 36-2. The Sooners’ only win in the Texas state capital came in 2008. Both series wins against the Longhorns have come under current head coach Santiago Restrepo. Saturday’s matchup features two teams ranked in the NCAA RPI top 25.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- The Sooners fell in four sets at Texas A&M Wednesday night (25-22, 21-25, 19-25, 20-25). It snapped a four-match win streak.
- The Sooners were 7-1 during the month of October. OU’s only loss was to No. 11 Texas (3-1).
- Oklahoma is 7-3 at home this season and 4-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-2 on the road and 5-2 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week on Monday. She previously earned the honor October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 20 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 17th in the nation with 1.32 bps.
- McLaurin’s average is the second-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year. She ranks behind Long Beach State’s Haleigh Hampton (1.54).
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for block solos (24) and blocks per set average (1.34).
- McLaurin has 61 blocks in Big 12 play (16 BS/45 BA), a freshman mark last reached by Kansas’ Savannah Noyes in 2005 (16 BS/45 BA).
- The last freshman to have more total blocks in conference play was Kansas’ Josiane Lima in 2002 (15 BS/59 BA/74 TB).
- In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 16 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- Junior Brianne Barker has had three double-doubles in the last five matches. Barker is averaging 10.00 assists per set in those matches.
- Barker averages 10.12 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league and 81st in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.45 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 21 matches this year.
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has seven matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 13 service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .345 hitting percentage, connecting on 168 of her 359 attempts (44 errors).
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team.
- It is the second straight year for the duo to be named to the team.
A LOOK AT TEXAS
- Texas has won eight straight. The Longhorns’ last loss was at then-No. 3 Nebraska on October 2.
- The Longhorns are 11-1 at home this season. Their only loss was to then-No. 5 Illinois on September 3 (3-0).
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma is 8-51 all-time against ranked opponents and 0-5 this season. OU is 3-34 against top 15 teams under Santiago Restrepo.
- Two of the three wins against top 15 programs were both five set wins against Texas (Sept. 27, 2006 in Norman and Oct. 29, 2008 in Austin).
- The Sooners are 2-17 all-time against a ranked Texas team and 2-10 against a ranked Longhorns team under Restrepo.
- Texas defeated Oklahoma, 3-1 on October 13 in Norman. OU took the opening set 25-19 before falling 30-28, 25-17 and 25-23.
- Boulavsky led OU with 15 kills. McLaurin added nine kills and had a match-high seven blocks.
- Barker added a career-high nine kills and was one kill shy of the first triple-double in Oklahoma history (40 assists and 11 digs).
- Five Longhorns had double-digit kills, led by Rachael Adam’s 16. Texas hit .261 as a team.