|Oklahoma Game Notes|
• Oklahoma has played in 41 bowl games and owns 24 victories and a bowl record of 24-16-1. With the roof closed, it marked the first time that OU has ever played two straight games indoors. Prior to the Fiesta Bowl, the Sooners knocked off No. 1 Missouri in the Big 12 Championship in the Alamodome.
• OU’s second touchdown of the game at the beginning of the fourth quarter marked its 79th of the season which broke a school record for most touchdowns in a season, passing the 2003 squad’s mark of 78. The Sooners finished the 2007 season with 80 touchdowns.
• Bradford’s 242 passing yards marked the fourth best by a Sooner in bowl game history. Josh Heupel owns the top mark with 390 passing yards in the 1999 Independence Bowl.
• He also completed 69.5 of his passes this season, which marks the best all time by an OU quarterback. Bradford also finished with a passing efficiency of 176.53 which leads the nation and is an OU record.
• Chaney’s 129 receiving yards against West Virginia marked a single-game career high. Entering the Fiesta Bowl, Chaney owned 56 receiving yards on the season. Prior to tonight, Chaney’s season high was two catches for 37 yards against Oklahoma State.
• Chaney’s 129 total receiving yards also marked the fourth best by any Sooner in a bowl game.
• Chaney has performed well in the Fiesta Bowl meetings. In last year’s 2007 Fiesta Bowl, Chaney recorded four catches for 37 yards and a touchdown.
• Linebacker Curtis Lofton finished the game with 15 total tackles, which ranks second-best in a bowl game at Oklahoma. Former Sooner Rufus Alexander holds the top mark with 17 tackles in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl.
• Lofton’s 15 tackles also marked the ninth time this season the linebacker has recorded double-digit tackles, which is a school record. The previous best was Jackie Shipp’s seven games with double-digit tackles during the 1981 season.
• Lofton finished the 2007 season with 157 total tackles which ties for sixth on OU’s all-time single-season list. Daryl Hunt also recorded 157 tackles during the 1977 season. The single-season leader is Jackie Shipp with 189 total tackles in 1981.
• Patrick recorded a career-high 73-yard kickoff return in the first quarter. Patrick is the fourth different Oklahoma player this season to have a kickoff return of 35 yards or more.
• With his third field goal of the game, Hartley moved into sixth on OU’s career list of points scored. Hartley’s 310 career points passes Quentin Griffin and Trey DiCarlo, who owned 306.
• Hartley’s third field goal of the game also tied the Fiesta Bowl record for most field goals made. Hartley shares the honor with six other players and the last time it was done was by Nate Trout of Syracuse in the 1998 Fiesta Bowl against Kansas State.
• Iglesias produced 100 or more yards in kickoff returns for the third time this season. Iglesias finished the Fiesta Bowl with 195 kickoff return yards. The single game record at OU is 229 set by Brandon Daniels against Notre Dame in 1999.
• For his career Iglesias owns 1,189 kickoff return yards for his career, which also ranks second on the OU career list. Buster Rhymes (1980-84) owns the all-time record with 1,237 kickoff return yards.
|By the Numbers|
70,016 - Wednesday’s night’s attendance at the Fiesta Bowl. It marked the 23rd sellout in the last 24 Fiesta Bowls.
1,583 - OU’s 2007 kickoff return yard total which set a school record. The previous record was 898 yards recorded by the 1997 squad (56 attempts). This year’s squad also recorded 56 kickoff return attempts.
3 - The Sooners had three first-time starters against West Virginia as junior Quentin Chaney and redshirt freshmen Dominique Franks and Adrian Taylor made their first career starts. It marked Chaney’s first start in 27 games played while Franks and Taylor made their first start in 13 career games played.
36 - Total touchdown passes this season by OU redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Bradford, which is an NCAA freshman record and the second best all-time by an OU quarterback (Jason White, 40 in 2003).
73 - Patrick’s 73-yard kickoff return in the first quarter marked the longest of his career. His previous long was 31 yards against Oregon in the 2005 Holiday Bowl. Patrick owns 181 total return yards in his career.