NORMAN, Okla. - The Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 35 Colorado in Boulder on Saturday. The loss gave the Sooners an 8-12 regular season record and put them at 5-6 in the Big 12.
Oklahoma fell behind early, dropping the doubles point to CU. In doubles, Oklahoma’s lone win came from Gabby Baker and Irina Lykina at the No. 1spot. The duo defeated Colorado’s Gleisy Torres Torres and Camila Belassi, 8-4.
Senior Lykina continued her winning streak for the day in singles at the No. 3 spot. She defeated the CU’s Veera Nurmi 6-2, 7-5, to give Oklahoma its only point.
Saturday’s win put the Sooner senior at 12-7 for the season, giving her the leading individual record for the Sooners.
Oklahoma will now head back to Norman to prepare for the Big 12 Tournament, which opens play on Thursday, April 26 in Kansas City, Mo.
“We are really looking forward to the tournament,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “It is always good competition.”
The Sooners ended the regular season 5-2 at home and 1-10 on the road.
The Sooners results for the Big 12 Tournament will be posted daily on SoonerSports.com.
No. 35 Colorado 6, Oklahoma 1
4-21-07 at Colorado
1. Baker/Lykina (OU) def. Belassi/Torres Torres 8-4
2. Milewski/Jendrian (CU) def. Purice/Baxley 8-5
3. Esposito/Martina Sedivec (CU) def. Orr/Rachael Cox 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. (35) Monica Milewski (CU) def. Gabby Baker 3-0, retired
2. Camila Belassi (CU) def. Monica Purice 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (6)
3. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Veera Nurmi 6-2, 7-5
4. Franziska Jendrian (CU) def. Christi Baxley 6-4, 6-2
5. Gleisy Torres Torres (CU) def. Anne Carter 6-3, 6-4
6. Melisa Esposito (CU) def. Elena Antakova 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 6, 4*, 5, 2, 3