NORMAN, Okla. - The women’s tennis team, seeded No. 6, advanced to the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championships Thursday, with a 4-3 win over the University of Kansas. It was the Sooners second win of the season over the Jayhawks.
Oklahoma fell early 0-1, when they dropped the doubles point on a 9-8 tally at No. 1 after the two squads split the other doubles action.
In singles play, OU came back, taking wins at the top four sports. The clinching match came at No. 1 as Oklahoma’s Gabby Baker, who has been in-and-out due to her knee, registered a 7-5, 7-6 (3) win.
“It was a very good win for us,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “We dug a hole, but fought hard to pull it out in singles.”
Senior Irina Lykina continued to add to her team leading record with a win at the No. 3 spot. Lykina defeated Kansas’ Kunigunda Dorn 6-1, 7-5.
“We all fought hard and it was really fun competing today,” said senior Anne Carter. “We are excited about competing tomorrow.”
The Sooners will take on No. 3 seeded Texas A&M Friday, April 27 at 6 p.m.
Kansas vs Oklahoma
April 26, 2007 at Kansas City, Mo.
Oklahoma 4, Kansas 3
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Monica Purice (OU) def. Edina Horvath (KU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Anne Carter (OU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
1. Elizaveta Avdeeva/Edina Horvath (KU) def. Gabby Baker/Irina Lykina (OU) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Lauren Hommell/Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Monica Purice/Christi Baxley (OU) 8-6
3. Chelsea Orr/Rachael Cox (OU) def. Stephanie Smith/Yuliana Svistun (KU) 8-1