NORMAN, Okla. The 41st-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis team claimed another victory Friday by defeating Tyler Community College, 7-0, at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
In doubles action, Oklahoma won three of four matches. Senior Ondrej Fukala and junior Tommy Garrison dominated the duo of Marcus Lunt and Amit Namarison at the No. 1 doubles, defeating the pair 8-1. Sophomore Marek Velicka and senior Silviu Tanasoiu won at the No. 2 doubles position by defeating Guillaune Torelli and Manny Gonzales, 8-5. Freshman Razvan Axente and junior Lee Gregg defeated Connor Smith and Davy Sahn, 8-3.
The Sooners dominated singles play, sweeping every position. Sophomore Marek Velicka, currently the top-ranked player in the Central Region and nationally recognized at No. 43, defeated Tyler’s Torelli, 6-3, 6-4. Ivanov remains undefeated by defeating Javier Herrera, 6-1, 6-4. Fukala defeated Lunt in the only three-set match of the day, 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (6). Freshmen Federico Chavarria and Axente both picked up singles wins. Chavarria beat Sahn, 6-0, 6-2. Axente defeated Gonzales, 7-5, 6-2.
The Sooners will face UNLV Friday, Feb. 18 at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas, Nev. The Sooners look to pick up another win against UNLV after defeating the Rebels in the semifinals of the UNLV invitational last spring. Oklahoma will then move on to play Hawaii on Saturday, Feb. 19 at 12 p.m.
Oklahoma 7, Tyler 0
Friday, Feb. 11, 2005
OU Headington Family Tennis Center
1. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Guillaune Torelli (TCC), 6-3, 6-4
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Marcus Lunt (TCC), 6-2, 5-7, 1-0(6)
3. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Javier Herrera (TCC), 6-1, 6-4)
4. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Amit Namarison (TCC), 6-1, 6-3
5. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Connor Smith (TCC), 6-1, 6-0
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Brett Hunter (TCC), 6-0, 6-0
7. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Davy Sahn (TCC), 6-0, 6-2
8. Razvan Axente (OU) def. Manny Gonzales (TCC), 7-5, 6-2
1. Garrison/Fukala (OU) def. Lunt/Namarison (TCC), 8-1
2. Velicka/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Torelli/Gonzales (TCC), 8-5
3. Herrera/Smith (TCC) def. Ivanov/Chavarria (OU), 9-8
4. Axente/Gregg (OU) def. Hunter/Sahn (TCC), 8-3