NORMAN, Okla. The Oklahoma women’s tennis team (4-4) won its second consecutive match Sunday against Oral Roberts University at Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. The Sooners defeated the Golden Eagles 7-0. It was the 17th time the two teams had met and the 16th time OU has prevailed.
OU started the match by gaining the doubles point with victories at all three spots.
At No. 3 doubles senior Anne Carter stepped up to replace Rachael Cox, who was out with a re-occurring shoulder injury. Carter and Orr, who have played little together this season defeated ORU’s Rafaela Souza and Debbie Skinstad 8-1.
“I thought we played well,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “I could tell we had a little trouble adjusting from being indoors to out, but as the day went on we got better. I was pleased.”
In singles, the Sooners claimed a sweep at every spot. They were led at the No. 1 spot by senior Monica Purice who defeated Emily Arkel 6-3, 6-3.
Junior Gabby Baker, who played her second singles match of the season Saturday against Texas Tech, went back to playing doubles only due to her knee.
Oklahoma’s Christ Baxley moved up to No. 2 singles for the Sooners. She defeated Paige McKinney 6-3, 6-4.
“I feel like we have been practicing really hard and it is beginning to pay off,” said Baxley. “I thought I struggled at first, but I overcame some elements and played better towards the end.”
Oklahoma will return to the courts for their second Big 12 match of the season Friday March 9 at 2 p.m. when it hosts No. 14 Baylor at the Headington Family Tennis Center. Oklahoma is currently 1-0 in Big 12 matches.
Oklahoma 7, Oral Roberts 0
03/04/07 at Norman, Okla.
1. Monica Purice (OU) def. Emily Arkel (ORU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Paige McKinney (ORU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Tayler Pippen (ORU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Hayden Rush (ORU) 7-6 (), 6-4
5. Anne Carter (OU) def. Rafela Suzu (ORU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
6. Elena Antakova (OU) def. Corrine Langston (ORU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 3, 4, 1, 5
1. Baker/ Lykina (OU) def. Arkell/ Pippen (ORU) 8-4
2. Baxley/ Purice (OU) def. Rush/ McKinney (ORU) 8-3
3. Orr/ Carter (OU) def. Souza/ Skinstad (ORU) 8-1
Order of Finish 3, 2, 1