The Oklahoma men’s tennis team (8-0) blew away Cowley County Community College and East Central with a pair of 7-0 wins. Rainy weather moved the Sooners to Oaktree Country Club in Edmond, Okla., for the first match against Cowley County, and then to Willow Creek Country Club in Oklahoma City, Okla., for the second match against East Central.
"This is the first couple of matches we’ve played after a week off from competition and I am very pleased on our team’s performance," said head coach Paul Lockwood. "We have our two toughest matches yet this next week against Texas-Arlington and Louisiana-Lafayette, and today’s matches helped us prepare for them."
All of the Sooners had straight-set wins except for one in each match. Junior Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) swept Cowley County’s Carlos Fernandez, 6-1, in the first set, only to face tougher competition in the second set with a close 7-6 victory. Freshman newcomer Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) had a similar match-up against East Central’s Pablo Romera, and also came out on top, 6-0, 7-5.
In doubles action, OU continued to dominate both teams. The No. 1 doubles pair of Velicka and sophomore Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) flew by Cowley County’s Carlos Fernandez and Jeff Stone, 8-2. Juniors Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) and Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) also celebrated an 8-2 victory over Cowley County’s Trent James and Collin Torrence at No. 3 doubles. The duo then defeated East Central’s Briggs and Chance, 8-3, to up their record to 8-0.
Junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) and sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) switched to No. 1 doubles against East Central and competed solid to capture an 8-5 win over Quyah Tran and Shane Conroy. The Sooner pair now have a 7-1 overall record this season.
Oklahoma will take on Texas-Arlington on Fri., March 6, and Louisiana-Lafayette on Sat., March 7, in Arlington, Texas. Action will begin at 1:30 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. on Saturday.
Oklahoma 7, def. Cowley County 0
Sunday, February 29, 2004
Willow Creek Tennis Club, Oklahoma City
1. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Tin Hinst (CC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Carlos Fernandez (CC), 6-1, 7-6
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Jeff Stone (CC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Trent James (CC), 6-1, 6-0
5. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Darren Cobble (CC), 6-1, 6-0
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Collin Torrence (CC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Velicka/Garrison (OU) def. Fernandez/Stone (CC), 8-2
2. Ivanov/Long (OU) def. Hinst/Cobble (CC), 8-3
3. Fukala/Tanasoiu (OU) def. James/Torrence (CC), 8-2
Oklahoma 7, def. East Central 0
Sunday, February 29, 2004
Willow Creek Country Club, Oklahoma City, Okla.
1. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Quyah Tran (ECU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Pablo Romera (ECU), 6-0, 7-5
3. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Shane Conroy (ECU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Siliviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Chad Waller (ECU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Felipe Lopez (ECU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Matt Long (OU) def. Matt Folsom (ECU), 6-1, 6-0
1. Ivanov/Long (OU) def. Tran/Conroy (ECU), 8-5
2. Garrison/Velicka (OU) def. Romera/Waller (ECU), 8-2
3. Fukala/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Briggs/Chance (ECU), 8-3