April 19, 2000
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team defeated the Texas Tech Red Raiders in action this afternoon at Lubbock High School by a score of 8-1. Oklahoma extends their winning streak to four matches after defeating Missouri, Iowa State, No. 61 Nebraska and Texas Tech. This makes the Sooners to 11-10 overall and 4-6 in the Big 12 while bumping the Raiders to 4-19 overall and 1-9 in conference.
Besides the point being taken from Angela Stroup at the No. 2 singles, 6-2, the Red Raiders were unable to capture a match as the Sooners defeated Texas Tech in straight sets in all five of their singles victories. At the No. 1 singles slot OU's Viviana Mracnova defeated Amanda Earhart-Savell, 5-4, Ret Freshman Annette Bryntesson, Melissa Mendieta and Joni Helleland took the No. 4, 5 and 6 slots defeating Tech's Noel Ruiz, 6-0, 6-4, Renee Pereira, 6-0, 6-2, and Christen Emmett, 6-1, 6-0. In doubles play Texas Tech No. 1 combo of Amanda Earhart-Savell and Ayako Suzuki forfeited their match. OU's No. 2 Mendieta/Guilford and No. 3 Bryntesson/Stephanie Sajbert took the points by scores of 8-4.
Oklahoma will be in action Saturday when they host Colorado at the Westwood Tennis Courts in Norman at 12 p.m.
Oklahoma 8, Texas Tech 1
Lubbock, Texas - Lubbock High School
Wednesday, April 19, 2000
1. Viviana Mracnova (OU) def. Amanda Earhart-Savell (TT) 4-5, Ret.
2. Ayako Suzuki (TT) def. Angela Stroup (OU) 7-6(7), 6-2
3. Kristin Guilford (OU) def. Sonnia Orellana 6-1, 6-3
4. Annette Bryntson (OU) def. Noel Ruiz (TT) 6-0, 6-4
5. Melissa Mendieta (OU) def. Renee Pereira (TT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Joni Helleland (OU) def. Christen Emmett (TT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Mracnova/Stroup (OU) def. Earhart-Savell/Suzuki - Forfeit
2. Mendeita/Guilford (OU) def. Orellana/Ruiz 8-4
3. Sajbert/Bryntesson (OU) def. Emmett/Pereira (TT) 8-4