OU Drops Match to Texas A&M, 5-2
March 27, 2009
NORMAN, Okla. -- The 41st-ranked University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (9-6, 0-2) dropped its second Big 12 match to No. 14 Texas A&M, 5-2, inside the Gregg Wadley Pavilion Saturday.
"I'm disappointed in the results," OU head coach Paul Lockwood said. "I though we would fair better at a few of the positions and it just didn't work out."
The Sooners began the match falling to the Aggies in doubles competition, dropping the No. 1 and 2 positions. Sooners' duo, junior Andrei Daescu and sophomore David Pultr, claimed OU's only victory in doubles competition, beating the Aggies Alexey Grigorov and Colin Hoover, 8-5.
In singles competition the Sooners were able to secure two victories over the Aggies. Sophomore Ionut Beleleu claimed a 6-4, 6-4 victory over A&M's Grigorov. OU's second win came from freshman George Chanturia. He defeated Marcus Lunt of A&M, 6-4, 6-7(3), 1-0.
"Hopefully we can get some rest, have a good hit Saturday afternoon and be ready to play the Longhorns on Sunday," Lockwood said.
The Sooners return to action Sunday, March, 29 at 1 p.m. to take on 12th-ranked Texas. The match is scheduled to be played outdoors on the Headington Family Tennis Center, but due to inclement weather the match may be moved to the Greg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
#41 OKLAHOMA 2, #14 Texas A&M 5
1. #3 Krajicek/Pollock (A&M) def. Beleleu/Avdeyev (OU), 8-3
2. Daescu/Pultr (OU) def. Grigorov/Hoover (A&M), 8-5
3. Spencer/Lunt (A&M) def. Chanturia/Boswell (OU), 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #16 Conor Pollock (A&M) def. #94 Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-1, 6-4
2. #52 Austin Krajicek (A&M) def. David Pultr (OU), 7-6, 6-4
3. #30 Wil Spencer (A&M) def. Sergey Adveyev (OU), 6-2, 7-5
4. Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Alexey Grigorov (A&M), 6-4, 6-4
5. George Chanturia (OU) def. Marcus Lunt (A&M), 6-4, 6-7(3), 1-0(5)
6. Colin Hoover (A&M) vs. Blake Boswell (OU), 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*, 4, 6, 5