NORMAN, Okla.-- The Oklahoma women’s tennis team was defeated 5-2 by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Wednesday, March 21 at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas. The Sooners are on a week long road trip with UNLV being their second stop of the four.
The Sooners fell behind the Rebels early by dropping the doubles point, falling at all three spots. In singles, Oklahoma was led once again by seniors Anne Carter and Irina Lykina, who for the second consecutive match, were the two victors.
“It was a tough match. UNLV is a solid team,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “I am very pleased with the way Anne and Irina played. They really stepped up.”
Lykina defeated UNLV’s Claire Smith in straight sets 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 4 spot while Carter had to play Alisa Razina into three sets. Carter took the first set 6-2, before dropping the second set 3-6. She then closed out the match 10-6 in a super-tie breaker played for the third set.
The Sooners, now 5-7, will head back south this weekend for a double header in Texas. OU will match-up with Texas A&M in College Station on Saturday March 24 before heading to Austin to take on the University of Texas on Sunday.
Oklahoma vs. UNLV
#54 UNLV 5, OKLAHOMA 2
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
1. Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 5-2 retired
2. Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. Monica Purice (OU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Claire Smith (UNLV) 7-5, 6-2
5. Linda Tempelfeld (UNLV) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Anne Carter (OU) def. Alisa Razina (UNLV) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. #35 Gantcheva/Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. Lykina/Baker (OU) 8-6
2. Dimitrova/Tempelfelde (UNLV) def. Baxley/Purice (OU) 8-2
3. Razina/Smith (UNLV) def. Orr/Cox (OU) 8-3