HONOLULU, Hawaii The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team snapped a five-match losing streak on Wednesday when the Sooners defeated Hawaii, 6-0, in Honolulu at the University of Hawaii Tennis Complex.
The Sooners won five of the six singles matches in straight sets and did not play any doubles matches. At No. 1 singles, sophomore Gabby Baker handed Kana Aikawa a, 6-2, 6-2, loss. Juniors Irina Lykina and Monica Purice also won their matches at No. 2 and No. 3 against Chloe Bihag and Samanta Cappella in straight sets. At the No. 4 spot, sophomore Christi Baxley upended Julia Sandborn, 6-2, 6-2, while fellow sophomore Chelsea Orr defeated Florence Wasko, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 5 singles.
At the No. 6 position, Hawaii’s Fenja Shaw pushed the match against freshman Gabriela Nastasa to a super-tiebreaker but fell to Nastasa, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (3).
Oklahoma improved to 5-6 overall, while Hawaii dropped to 0-12. The Sooners will have two more chances this week to pick up wins against Hawaii-Pacific and Bowdoin.
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Kana Aikawa (UH), 6-2, 6-2
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Chloe Bihag (UH), 6-3, 6-4
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Samanta Cappella (UH), 6-1, 6-1
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Julia Sandborn (UH), 6-2, 6-2
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Florence Wasko (UH), 6-0, 6-1
6. Gabriela Nastasa (OU) def. Fenja Shaw (UH), 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (3)