No. 24 Women's Tennis Improves to 5-1
Feb. 12, 2011
MINNEAPOLIS – The 24th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team defeated Oregon, 5-2, Saturday to finish the weekend with two wins in Minneapolis.
“We played with much better energy and intensity today,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “I was very happy with our overall performance.”
Oklahoma improved to 5-1 with the win as the Sooners return home to Norman for a bye week before competing in the 2011 Blue Gray Tournament.
“It was a really good road test for us and it was a perfect prelude for what we are going to face in the weeks ahead,” Mullins added.
Oklahoma won at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots in doubles against Oregon to win its sixth-straight doubles point this season.
Maria Kalashnikova and Whitney Ritchie defeated Trudie Dutoit and Julia Metzger, 8-2, at the second position, while Tara Eckel and Marie-Pier Huet topped Rabea Stueckemann and Siobhan Cavan in the No.3 spot, 8-4.
The Sooners added four singles points to clinch the victory over Oregon, winning all four matches in straight sets.
Ana-Maria Constantinescu defeated Pavlina Smatova of Oregon at the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-4. Ritchie topped Metzger, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 3 position. Huet won in the fourth spot, 6-1, 6-1, over Oregon’s Dutoit, while Mia Lancaster beat Lana Buttner, 6-2, 6-1.
Oklahoma is one of eight teams participating in the 2011 Blue Gray Tournament in Montgomery, Ala., on Feb. 24-26.
The Sooners join No. 42 Alabama, No. 61 Auburn, No. 34 DePaul, No. 13 Notre Dame, No. 31 Ohio State, No. 47 Utah and No. 25 Virginia.
No. 24 Oklahoma 5, Oregon 2
1. Smatova/Skowronski (UO) def. No. 31 Constantinescu/Radu (OU), 9-7(1)
2. Kalashnikova/Ritchie(OU) def. Dutoit/Metzger (UO), 8-2
3. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Stueckemann/Cavan (UO), 8-4
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Pavlina Smatova (UO), 6-4, 6-4
2. Patricia Skowronski (UO) def. Alice Radu (OU), 7-6 (5), 6-1
3. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Julia Metzger (UO), 6-1, 6-2
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Trudie Dutoit (UO), 6-1, 6-1
5. Rabea Stueckemann (UO) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Lana Buttner (UO), 6-2, 6-1