NORMAN, Okla. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team picked up its second Big 12 win of the year after downing Iowa State, 7-0, on Sunday at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. The Sooners now sit at 8-12 overall and 2-6 in conference duals.
“It’s good to win following a tough loss to Colorado,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “We really needed to come out strong and play well, and that’s what we did.”
Oklahoma started off by winning all three doubles matches. Juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice were the first to finish their match after handing Danielle Uscinski and Chrissy Derouin an 8-4 loss. At the No. 2 position, sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina clinched the doubles point for OU with an 8-4 victory over Elizabeth Chermel and Kara Hickey. Sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr rounded out doubles competition against Jill Palen and Eva Soriano, and the Sooner duo defeated the Cyclones, 8-5.
The Sooners dominated the Cyclones in singles and won five of the six matches in straight sets. Baker picked up her sixth consecutive victory after defeating Palen, 6-0, 6-0. Orr followed with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Charlotte Ljungkrantz.
Baxley clinched the match for OU at the No. 4 spot, where she downed Derouin, 6-1, 6-1. Purice took her match shortly after with a 6-1, 6-3 win against Caitlin Loprinzi. At No. 2, Lykina dropped her first set against Hickey but came back to defeat her, 2-6, 6-2, 7-5. Carter capped off the match with a win at No. 6 over Soriano to shut out the Cyclones.
Oklahoma will take a break from Big 12 play on Wednesday, as the Sooners are set to host Arkansas at 5 p.m. in Norman.
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Jill Palen (ISU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Kara Hickey (ISU), 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Caitlin Loprinzi (ISU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Chrissy Derouin (ISU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Charlotte Ljungkrantz (ISU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Anne Carter (OU) def. Eve Soriano (ISU), 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 5, 4, 3, 2, 6
1. Baker/Orr (OU) def. Palen/Soriano (ISU), 8-5
2. Baxley/Lykina (OU) def. Chermel/Hickey (ISU), 8-4
3. Carter/Purice (OU) def. Uscinski/Derouin (ISU), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1