NORMAN, Okla.The No. 42 Oklahoma men’s tennis team downed No. 64 Fresno State 5-2 Sunday at the Wathen Tennis Center in Fresno, Calif.
The Sooners picked up the doubles point to begin the day. The No. 42 doubles tandem of junior Federico Chavarria and sophomore Rob McKenzie defeated the Bulldog’s Jakub Czech and Mirko Zapletal 9-8 (6) at the No.1 spot.
At No. 2 doubles freshmen Andrei Daescu and Vaclav Kucera dropped an 8-4 decision on the Fresno State pair of Taylor Leiby and Rudolf Siwy.
In the singles competition No. 111 Kucera upset No. 59 Jakub Cech at the No. 1 slot. Kucera defeated Cech in two sets, 6-2, 6-4.
Senior Marek Velicka squared off against Siwy at the No. 3 slot. Velicka defeated Siwy in two sets, 6-3, 7-5. Sooners Rob McKenzie and Sergey Avdeyev also picked up wins at the No. 4 and No. 6 slots.
The Sooners are now 11-2 on the season and boast two ranked players and one ranked doubles tandem. Oklahoma is 5-2 against ranked opponents this season.
The Sooners will return to Norman for their next competition as they face Abilene Christian and East Central Oklahoma at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center.
Oklahoma will square off against Abilene Christian at 9 a.m. and East Central Oklahoma at 3 p.m. Live scoring will be available at SoonerSports.com with a recap to follow the end of play.
Oklahoma 5, Fresno State 2
1. No. 111 Vaclav Kucera (OU) def. No. 59 Jakub Cech (FS), 6-2, 6-4
2. Mirko Zapletal (FS) def. No. 60 Andrei Daescu (OU), 3-6, 6-2, (10-7)
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Rudolf Siwy (FS), 6-3, 7-5
4. Rob McKenzie (OU) def. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS), 6-3, 6-1
5. Charles Irie (FS) def. Ryan Thomas (OU), 7-5, 7-6 (6)
6. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) def. Taylor Leiby (FS), 6-2, 6-2
1. No. 42 Chavarria/McKenzie (OU) def. Cech/Zapletal (FS), 9-8 (6)
2. Daescu/Kucera (OU) def. Leiby/Siwy (FS), 8-4
3. Irie/Veerepalli (FS) def. Avdeyev/Velicka (OU), 8-3