NORMAN, Okla.The No. 43 OU men’s tennis team extended its winning streak to nine matches as it shut out Oral Roberts, 7-0, Sunday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
“I thought we competed hard today and played well,” OU Head Coach Paul Lockwood said. “We had a couple of players come down with illness lately and I thought everyone stepped it up a notch. Ryan Thomas and Ondrej Kacmar filled in at No. 5 and 6 well today. I am proud of the guys and the way the competed.”
In doubles competition, junior Federico Chavarria and sophomore Rob McKenzie played a quick match defeating Oral Roberts’ Tyrone Hill and Cuan Farquharson 8-2 at the No. 1 slot.
At No. 2 doubles senior Marek Velicka and sophomore Sergey Avdeyev downed the Eagles’ Alex Dargel and Frank Kaehler.
Freshman Andrei Daescue and junior Ryan Thomas teamed up for the first time competing at the No. 3 spot. The OU tandem posted an 8-5 win on Patrick Guilliod and Clemons Geercken of Oral Roberts.
In singles competition, Velicka squared off against Dargel at the No. 1 slot. Velicka took the first set 6-4, but struggled in the second set as the two exchanged leads back and forth. Velicka would eventually come out with the 6-4 win.
“It was a tough match,” Velicka said. “I fought hard and I thought I played well in tough conditions. It really helped having my team behind me, cheering me on.”
The win against Oral Roberts is the sixth shut out for the Sooners this season. Oklahoma improved its overall record to 10-1 and extended its winning streak to nine matches. The Sooners are tied with No. 9 Oklahoma State for the best record in the Big 12.
Oklahoma will head to Fresno, Calif. for two matches next weekend.
“I look forward to a good week of practice where we can get ready to face North Carolina State and Fresno,” Lockwood said.
The Sooners will face No. 39 North Carolina State Saturday, March 10 and No. 46 Fresno State Sunday, March 11 at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center in the San Joaquin Valley. A recap of the match and results will be posted on SoonerSports.com as soon as they become available.
No. 43 Oklahoma 7, Oral Roberts
March 4, 2007
1. Federico Chavarria/Rob McKenzie (OU) def. Tyrone Hill/Cuan Farquaharson (ORU), 8-1
2. Sergey Avdeyev/Marek Velicka (OU) def. Alex Dargel/Frank Kaehler (ORU), 8-3
3. Andrei Daescu/ Ryan Thomas (OU) def. Patrick Guilloid/ Clemons Geercken (ORU), 8-5
1. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Alex Dargel (ORU), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 55 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Frank Kaehler (ORU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Rob McKenzie (OU) def. Tyrone Hill (ORU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Cuan Farquharson (ORU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Ryan Thomas (OU) def. Clemons Geerchen (ORU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Ondrej Kacmar (OU) def. Patrick Guilliod (ORU), 6-4, 6-1