Feb. 2, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – The No. 43 Oklahoma women’s tennis team (2-2) lost, 4-3, to No. 32 Rice Saturday, Feb. 2, in their second home match of the season.
OU’s Hermon Brhane and Whitney Ritchie captured the Sooners’ singles points. Ritchie made her first home appearance after missing the opening match with a knee injury.
“Ritchie’s still got to get some of her wind back but, in terms of how she’s hitting the ball, she’s a little farther than I expected.” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Her heart and her competitive spirit, you can never doubt that and that gets her through a lot.”
ITA No. 99 Brhane upset No. 50 Natalie Beazant at the No. 1 position, 6-4, 6-2. Ritchie topped Dominique Harmath at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 4-6, 1-0.
“I’m obviously disappointed in the doubles point, to have that many missed opportunities. We had four match points there.” Mullins said. “We were in control of the doubles point completely and I’ve not really experienced that before to see that many opportunities gone and to lose 12 straight points heading into that tie breaker was tough to see.”
Oklahoma played from behind after losing the doubles point to the Owls to give Rice a 1-0 lead heading into singles. No. 55 Brhane and Ritchie defeated Rice’s 56th-ranked, Beazant and Harmath, 8-5.
Oklahoma faces Minnesota Saturday, Feb. 9, at 12 p.m. in Norman.
No. 32 Rice 4, No. 43 Oklahoma 3
1. No. 55 Whitney Ritchie/Hermon Brhane (OU) vs. No. 56 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (Rice), 8-5
2. Katie Gater/ Liat Zimmerman (Rice) vs. Zita Engbroks/Mia Lancaster (OU), 8-6
3. Solomiya Zinko/Daniela Trigo (Rice) vs. Emma Devine/Whitney Wofford (OU), 8-7
1. No. 99 Hermon Brhane (OU) vs. No. 50 Natalie Beazant (Rice), 6-4, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) vs. Dominique Harmath (Rice), 6-1, 6-4, 1-0
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) vs. Katie Gater (Rice) 7-6, 7-6
4. Kimberly Anicete (Rice) vs. Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Liat Zimmerman (Rice) vs. Zita Engbroks (OU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Solomiya Zinko (Rice) vs. Emma Devine (OU), 6-0, 6-2