NORMAN, Okla. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team surprised No. 42 Nebraska with a 4-3 win on Saturday in Norman. The Sooners picked up their second straight conference win and improved to 9-13 overall and 3-6 in the Big 12.
Oklahoma got on the board first by winning the doubles point. At No. 3, juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice had OU’s first doubles win by defeating Pamela Castillejos and Vanessa Heute, 8-2. However, Nebraska came back with a win at the No. 2 position, where sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina fell, 8-6, to Kim Hartmann and Milena Schulz-Gartner. Coming down to the match at No. 1, sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr pushed through to upend Ewelina Skaza and Imke Reimers, 8-6.
Singles competition proved to be intense for the Sooners and Huskers. Orr put the score at 2-0 with a victory at No. 5 over Skaza in straight sets, but the Huskers got on the board shortly after with a win at No. 6, where Carter dropped her match to Heute in straight sets.
The final four singles matches were much closer as they all went into three sets. At No. 1, Baker handed Hartmann a loss, but Nebraska rallied at the No. 2 spot with Reimers posting a win over Lykina.
The match up at No. 3 was the closest of the afternoon as the match was decided by a tiebreaker in the third set. Schulz-Gartner was two points away from winning the tiebreaker, but Purice pulled through to even the score at 5-5. However, Schulz-Gartner picked up the next two points to win the match and even the team score at 3-3.
At that point, Baxley and Castillejos were finishing the third set. Baxley had won the first set, 6-4, but Castillejos came back with a 6-3 second-set win. With the Sooners rallying around Baxley, she defeated Castillejos in the third set to give Oklahoma the win.
The Sooners will play one final home match of the season on Tuesday as the team faces Oklahoma State. The Bedlam match is set to begin at 2 p.m.
1. Baker/Orr (OU) def. Skaza/Reimers (NU), 8-6
2. Hartmann/Schulz-Gartner (NU) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-6
3. Carter/Purice (OU) def. Castillejos/Heute (NU), 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Kim Hartmann (NU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
2. Imke Reimers (NU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Milena Schulz-Gartner (NU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Pamela Castillejos (NU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Ewelina Skaza (NU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Vanessa Heute (NU) def. Anne Carter (OU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4