NORMAN, Okla.The Oklahoma men’s tennis team concluded its weekend at the Rice Invitational with another upset over No. 33 William & Mary, 4-2.
The Sooners began the day losing the doubles point, but bounced back in singles play. At the No. 1 slot, No. 83 freshman Vaclav Kucera picked up his third win of the weekend. Kucera defeated William & Mary’s Alex Kojanu in two sets, 6-4, 6-2. Competing at the No. 4 slot, sophomore Rob McKenzie downed Marwan Ramadan in two sets 6-4, 6-0.
Oklahoma clinched the victory over William & Mary with junior Federico Chavarria’s tough win over Dominic Pagon at the No. 5 slot. Chavarria dropped the first set 4-6, but came back to win in the last two sets, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
“We had a great weekend with three big wins over three nationally ranked teams,” said OU Head Coach Paul Lockwood. “I am proud of the guys for how hard they fought and their solid attitudes. I am excited to leave Houston 3-0.”
At the Invitational, Oklahoma upset No. 24 Rice (4-2) Friday, No. 39 Middle Tennessee State (4-2) Saturday and No. 33 William & Mary (4-2) Sunday. The Sooners improved their overall record to 16-2. OU is 7-2 against ranked opponents and has upset five teams this season.
After a big weekend, the Sooners are ready to begin Big 12 play. Oklahoma will head to Lincoln, Neb. to face the Cornhuskers for the second time this spring. OU defeated Nebraska 4-0 in its first match of the season.
The Sooners and the Cornhuskers will square off Friday, March 30 at 1 p.m. Results will be posted on SoonerSports.com as soon as they are available.
#52 Oklahoma 4, #39 William & Mary 2
1. #83 Vaclav Kucera (OU) def. Alex Cojanu (WM) 6-4, 6-2
2. #78 Andrei Daescu (OU) vs. #99 Colin O'Brien (WM) 4-6, 6-1, 4-4, unfinished
3. Keziel Juneau (WM) def. Marek Velicka (OU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Rob McKenzie (OU) def. Marwan Ramadan (WM) 6-4, 6-0
5. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Dominic Pagon (WM) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) def. Alexander Zuck (WM) 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
1. #39 Alex Cojanu/Keziel Juneau (WM) def. Andrei Daescu/Vaclav Kucera (OU) 9-7
2. Rob McKenzie/Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Kavi Sud/Alexander Zuck (WM) 8-4
3. Colin O'Brien/Dominic Pagon (WM) def. Marek Velicka/Ryan Thomas (OU) 8-5
William & Mary 14-9; National ranking #39
Oklahoma 16-2; National ranking #52
Oklahoma wins the 46th Annual Rice Invitational, winning all 3 matches.
Match clinched at No. 5 singles.