HONOLULU, Hawaii - The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team (6-6) picked up its second win this week after defeating Bowdoin College, 7-0, on Friday in Honolulu, Hawaii.
In doubles, Brittany Baldy and Chelsea Orr paired up for the first time this season and handed Christine and Sarah D'Elia an 8-0 loss at the No. 1 position. Gabriela Nastasa and Monica Purice also teamed up for the first time in their careers to defeat Kelsey Hughes and Kristen Raymond, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles. At No. 3, Christi Baxley and Anne Carter picked up their first doubles win at that position after handing the duo of Alex Fransceschi and Rachel Waldman an 8-0 loss.
The Sooners won all singles matches in straight sets. Gabby Baker led the Sooners at No. 1 singles where she handily defeated Sarah D'Elia, 6-1, 6-1. Baker is now 8-8 overall in spring dual matches. Irina Lykina competed at the No. 2 position and defeated Raymond, 6-3, 6-0. Purice, Baxley and Baldy also won their matches at No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles. At the No. 6 spot, Bowdoin defaulted to Oklahoma to give the Sooners a 7-0 victory.
Oklahoma will compete in its second Big 12 match of the spring on Tuesday when the Sooners head to Waco, Texas, to face No. 15 Baylor. OU is 1-0 in Big 12 matches.
1. Baldy/Chelsea Orr (OU) def. D'Elia/D'Elia (BC), 8-0
2. Nastasa/Purice (OU) def. Hughes/Raymond (BC), 8-3
3. Baxley/Anne Carter (OU) def. Franceschi/Waldman (BC), 8-0
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Sarah D'Elia (BC), 6-1, 6-1
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Kristen Raymond (BC), 6-3, 6-0
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Christine D'Elia (BC), 6-0, 6-2
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Rachel Waldman (BC), 6-0, 6-1
5. Brittany Baldy (OU) def. Alex Franceschi (BC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Bowdoin defaulted to Oklahoma