FRESNO, Calif. - In its second match of the weekend, the University of Oklahoma women's tennis team fell to No. 44 Fresno State, 6-1, on Sunday at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center in Fresno, Calif. The Bulldogs improve to 5-3 in spring competition, while the Sooners fall to 2-3.
Fresno State won the doubles point with victories at all three positions. Sophomore Gabby Baker and junior Irina Lykina faced their toughest competition of the year as they went up against No. 4 Lucia Sainz and Katharina Winterhalter and fell to the Bulldog duo, 8-2. Sophomore Chelsea Orr and junior Monica Purice also took to the courts in doubles action at the No. 2 position and were defeated by Tinesta Rowe and Magdalena Tokarska, 8-4. At the No. 3 spot, sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Anne Carter were upended by Melanie Gloria and Jacqui Haskett, 8-5.
Oklahoma also struggled in singles and took one of the six matches. Freshman Gabriela Nastasa, who competed for the first time as a Sooner, defeated Bruna Paes, 3-6, 7-6, (9-7), in a closely fought match. Baxley also played a tough match against Rowe by defeating her in the first set but dropped the match, 6-2, 2-6, (10-5).
The Sooners have two weeks off before facing UNLV in Las Vegas, Nev., on March 4.
1. Melanie Gloria (FS) def. No. 73 Gabby Baker (OU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Katharina Winterhalter (FS) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Lucia Sainz (FS) def. Monica Purice (OU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Tinesta Rowe (FS) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-2, 2-6, (10-5)
5. Jacqui Haskett (FS) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Gabriela Nastasa (OU) def. Bruna Paes (FS), 3-6, 7-6, (9-7)
1. No. 4 Sainz/Winterhalter (FS) def. Baker/Lykina (OU), 8-2
2. Rowe/Tokarska (FS) def. Orr/Purice (OU), 8-4
3. Gloria/Haskett (FS) def. Baxley/Carter (OU), 8-5