March 11, 2012
MANHATTAN, Kan. – The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team suffered its first Big 12 loss of the season by falling to Kansas State, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at the Body First Tennis and Fitness Center.
“We again showed our inexperience today at No. 5 and No. 6,” said OU Head Coach Dave Mullens. “We did not adapt well to the fast indoor conditions and ultimately we need to be better. This is the first team have lost to that I truly felt we were better than so it is extremely disappointing. We have to regroup yet again and move forward.”
Oklahoma (7-7, 2-1 Big 12) clinched the doubles point for the eighth time this season, but it wasn’t enough to top the Wildcats (5-7. 1-1 Big 12). OU had entered the match with a 7-0 record when winning the doubles point.
Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose took down Marketa Trousilova and Carli Wischhoff with an 8-1 victory. Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie, ranked 34th nationally in doubles, improved to 10-3 with an 8-6 victory over Petra Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic to seal the doubles point.
KSU’s Niedermayerova, ranked No. 24 in the nation, defeated Huet. 6-0, 6-1, and Karla Bonacic took down OU’s Ritchie, 6-0, 6-3, to give the Wildcats a 2-1 lead.
Oklahoma retook the lead with victories by Lancaster and Melrose at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions. Lancaster bested Trousilova, 6-1, 6-2, and Melrose defeated Amina St. Hill, 6-2, 6-0.
The Wildcats would eventually win the back-and-forth match with wins in the No. 5 and No. 6 positions. KSU’s Carmen Borau Ramos topped Nicole Long, 6-3, 7-5, and Carli Wischhoff beat Whitney Wofford in three sets, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
The Sooners are back in action when they travel to College of Charleston on March 20.
Kansas State 4, (40) Oklahoma 3
1. (34) Marie-Pier Huet/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU), 8-6
2. Mia Lancaster/Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Marketa Trousilova/ Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 8-1
3. Petra Chuda/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Peta Maree Lancaster/Nicole Long (OU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (24) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-0, 6-1
2. (89) Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU), 6-0, 6-3
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Marketa Trousilova (KSU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Carli Wischhoff (KSU) def. Whitney Wofford (OU),, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) vs. Nicole Long (OU), 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5*
*- match decided