AUSTIN, Texas -- The Oklahoma men’s tennis team lost its second Big 12 match of the season Sunday, falling to No. 28 Texas, 6-0, at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin, Texas.
The doubles competition will be delayed until Thurs., April 29, due to inclement weather conditions. The time is to be announced. The Sooners drop to 12-4 and 0-2 in the Big 12 while the Longhorns improve to 13-7 and 3-0 in Big 12 play.
“We played well in most of the matches, but could not pull off the tight matches,” said head coach Paul Lockwood. “We’re getting better day-by-day and we are glad to be coming home to Norman this week.”
Performing strong for the Sooners were junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) and sophomore Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.). At No. 5 singles, Tanasoiu lost the first set, 6-1, against UT’s Ryan Haymond but came back to win the second set 7-5. Tanasoiu fought hard in the third set but eventually fell in a tie-break, 7-6. At No. 6, Gregg suffered only his second loss of the season to UT’s Will Clinton, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
The Sooners return to Norman to host Lamar on Fri., April 2, at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center. Action is set to begin at 2 p.m. and admission is free.
No.28 Texas 6, Oklahoma 0
Sun, March 28, 2004
Pennick-Allison Tennis Center, Austin, Texas.
1. Antonio Ruiz (UT) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Jose Zarhi (UT) def. Marek Velicka (OU), 6-4, 7-6
3. Pete Stroer (UT) def. Ondrej Fukala (OU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Jimmy Haney (UT) def. Tommy Garrison (OU), 7-6, 7-5
5. Ryan Haymond (UT) def. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU), 6-1, 5-7, 7-6
6. Will Clinton (UT) def. Lee Gregg (OU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
Did not compete