March 19, 2010
Oklahoma Men's Tennis (11-1 Overall, 0-0 Big 12)
Oklahoma 4, Virginia Commonwealth 1
vs. No. 33 Arizona, March 20, at 11 a.m.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – 17th-ranked Oklahoma advanced to the semifinals of the Blue Gray Tennis Classic after torching No. 73 VCU Friday, 4-1, in quarterfinal action held at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center. The Sooners face No. 33 Arizona Friday after the Wildcats defeated 39th-ranked Tulsa, 4-2, in the quarterfinals.
“The team didn’t feel like they played their best tennis today, but we did a good job of fighting through and getting a win even though we were not playing our best,” OU head coach John Roddick said.
OU (11-1) struck early after squeaking by the Ram’s and winning the doubles portion.
In singles action, the Sooners claimed wins at the No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 positions to win the match.
Junior Ionut Beleleu routed VCU’s Krisztian Krocsko, 6-0, 6-2. Freshman Lawrence Formentera defeated Camill Salomon, 7-5, 6-3. While sophomore George Chanturia was victorious over the Ram’s Fillip Svensson, 6-4, 6-3.
With the win over VCU Roddick’s squad has now won nine-straight matches and is off to their best start since the 2005 season when the Sooners started the season with a 13-1 record.
Arizona (11-4) has won four-straight heading into tomorrow’s showdown and possesses one ranked doubles team.
“Arizona is a very good team and they have had great success in recent years,” said Roddick. “It’s a good opportunity for us to play someone that is outside our region and see where we are at.”
The winner of tomorrow’s match will advance to the finals Sunday and will play the winner of the Texas Tech (No. 16)-Notre Dame (No. 38) match.
No. 17 Oklahoma 4, No. 73 VCU 1
1. #55 Thibaut Charron (VCU) def. #20 Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-1, 6-3
2. #83 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Krisztian Krocsko (VCU), 6-0, 6-2
3. #70 Costin Paval (OU) vs. Tim Johannsen (VCU), DNF
4. David Pultr (OU) vs. Max Wennakoski (VCU), DNF
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Camill Salomon (VCU), 7-5, 6-3
6. George Chanturia (OU) vs. Fillip Svensson (VCU), 6-4, 6-3
1. #71 Daescu/Paval (OU) def. Charron/Johannsen (VCU), 8-1
2. Pultr/Beleleu (OU) def. Krocsko/Salomon (VCU), 9-7
3. Wennakoski/Svensson (VCU) def. Formentera/Blake Boswell (OU), 8-5