NORMAN, Okla. In a closely fought match on Wednesday night, the University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to Arkansas, 4-3, at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. The loss puts OU at an 8-13 overall record.
Arkansas was first to get on the board by winning the doubles point. Sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr fell to Maryori Franco and Karina Ledaja, 8-6, and junior Irina Lykina and Christi Baxley followed with an 8-4 loss at No. 2 to Melissa Cornett and Aurelija Miseviciute. The Sooners won their only doubles match at No. 3, where juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice defeated Ela Kaluder and Vlatka Jovanovic, 8-6.
The Sooners fared better in singles, but it was not enough to post a win over the Lady Razorbacks. Arkansas won the first two singles matches at No. 5 and No. 4, where Cornett upended Orr, and Franco defeated Baxley. The two victories put Arkansas up 3-0.
Oklahoma then rallied to win three straight singles matches. Purice surprised 55th-ranked Kaluder with a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 3, and Lykina followed with a straight set win over Jovanovic. The Sooners tied the score at 3-3 when Carter beat Ledaja in three sets after playing a 14-point tiebreaker in the first set.
It came down to the No. 1 position, where Baker faced 31st-ranked Miseviciute. Baker won the first set, 6-4, but Miseviciute came back to win the second and third sets, 7-5, 6-2, to clinch the match for Arkansas.
The Sooners return to Big 12 play on Saturday morning as they are set to host Nebraska at 11 a.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
1. Franco/Ledaja (UA) def. Baker/Orr (OU), 8-6
2. Cornett/Miseviciute (UA) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-4
3. Carter/Purice (OU) def. Kaluder/Jovanovic (UA), 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 31 Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Gabby Baker (OU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA), 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. No. 55 Ela Kaluder (UA), 6-1, 6-2
4. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Melissa Cornett (UA) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Anne Carter (OU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA), 7-6 (14-13), 3-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1