NORMAN, Okla. Senior Oklahoma softball player Kristin Vesely was one of 20 collegiate players drafted to participate in the inaugural season of the PFX Tour, a professional fast-pitch softball tour. Vesely, one of four Big 12 players chosen, was selected as the 14th pick in the draft.
At the end of her senior season, Vesely will have the opportunity to join the tour and travel to various amateur softball tournaments, competing against top-level amateur and professional team while providing instruction to teams competing at the PFX Tour stops.
Vesely, a second team All-American in 2005, led the Sooners to a 50-17 overall mark last season and set an OU record with her 23-game hitting streak. The three-time all-conference selection also led the Big 12 with a .451 hitting percentage and recorded the best OU single season marks in stolen bases (32) and hits (97). The center fielder was a semifinalist for the 2005 USA Player of the Year and is expected to be on the watch list for the 2006 season.
The PFX Tour, founded by Team USA players Dot Richardson and Lisa Fernandez, is designed to help promote the sport worldwide, build an elite level for more than only a few select athletes, expand the sport’s fan base, create an opportunity for athletes who have graduated from college to continue to play, provide a financial package that grows with the Tour’s success to offer a career choice in the sport, generate value to sponsors for a “win-win” relationship and above all, give back to the sport from the grass roots up.
Vesely and the No. 12/13 Sooners will open the season next Friday, Feb. 3 at the UNLV Alexis Resort Kickoff Classic where they will take on No. 13/14 Washington in their season opener at 1:15 p.m. (CST) in Las Vegas, Nev.
2006 XPL Draft Selection
1. Cat Osterman, P, Texas
2. Lauren Lappin, INF/C, Stanford
3. Alicia Hollowell, P, Arizona
4. Jennie Ritter, P, Michigan
5. Andre Duran, INF/OF, UCLA
6. Adrienne Alo, INF/OF, Oregon State
7. Catalina Morris, OF, Stanford
8. Kristina Thorson, P, Cal-Berkeley
9. Aimee Minor, OF/C, Washington
10. Caitlin Benyi, INF, UCLA
11. Emily Zaplatosch, C, UCLA
12. Kristi Durant, INF, Tennessee
13. Stephanie VanBrakle, P, Alabama
14. Kristin Vesely, OF, Oklahoma
15. Tina Boutelle, INF, Texas
16. Lisa Allen, INF, Oregon State
17. Dominique Accetturo, INF, Alabama
18. Christina Clark, INF, Fresno State
19. Sarah Hyatt, INF, Washington
20. Harmony Schwethelm, INF, Baylor