The Oklahoma men’s tennis team swept Cameron, 7-0, on Wednesday at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. The win boosts the Sooners to a 10-1 record and drops the Aggies to 5-4 on the season.
In singles play, the Sooners triumphed in all six matches. Junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas), sophomores Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) and Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) and freshman Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) all celebrated straight-set victories over their opponents. Gregg and Velicka both remain undefeated after eleven matches.
Sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) was the only Sooner to struggle with a three-set game. Ivanov fell in the first set, 5-7, but then came back strong in the last two sets against Cameron’s Ivor Hitrec, 6-2, 6-3.
OU remained solid as they grabbed the doubles point to win the match. First-time doubles pair of Velicka and junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) posted their first victory of the season over Cameron’s Gustavo Blanco and Nathan McCullouch, 8-2, at No. 2 doubles. Another premiere duo of Garrison and Gregg crushed Cameron’s Marco Valdez and Alex Furlan, 8-3.
Oklahoma hosts regional opponent Southwest Missouri State on Fri., March 12, at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. Action is set to begin at 2 p.m. Admission is free.
Oklahoma 7, Cameron 0
Wednesday, March 10, 2004
OU Headington Family Tennis Center, Norman, Okla.
1. Alexei Ivanov (CU) def. Ivor Hitrec, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Alex Furlan (CU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Oscar Guerra (CU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Gustavo Blanco (CU), 6-0, 7-5
5. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Josh Cobble (CU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Matt Long (OU) def. Marco Valdez (CU), 6-0, 6-3
1. Hitrec/Guerra (CU) def. Ivanov/Long (OU), 8-6
2. Velicka/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Blanco/Nathan McCullouch (CU), 8-2
3. Garrison/Gregg (OU) def. Valdez/Furlan (CU), 8-3