NORMAN, Okla. - The No. 66 ranked Sooners fell to No. 35 Baylor Friday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
The Sooners started the match by dropping the doubles point to the Bears, with their lone victory coming from Rachael Cox and Chelsea Orr at the No. 3 spot.
Cox and Orr, who won their second consecutive match, extended their record to 2-2 on the season. The duo defeated Baylor’s Jana Bielikova and Iva Mihaylova, 8-4.
In singles action, Oklahoma changed up the line-up, moving Christi Baxley to No. 3 and Irina Lykina to No. 4, but BU still managed to sweep the Sooners, winning all six spots.
The most intense match of the afternoon came from senior Irina Lykina at No. 4 singles. After dropping the first set 6-3 to Baylor’s Klara Zrustova, Lykina came back to take the second set,6-2. Next, the two played a super tie-breaker for the third set with Lykina falling to Zrustova, 10-3.
Oklahoma junior Gabby Baker returned to the No.1 spot for the second consecutive match and fell to BU’s Zuzana Zemonava 6-2, 6-4.
“It was a tough one,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “Baylor is a very good team. They are just steadier then we are right now. We hit a lot of balls, but we just missed too many.”
The Sooners are now 4-5 on the season and 1-1 in Big 12 play. OU will return to the courts next Friday at 2 p.m. when it hosts Missouri at the Headington Family Tennis Center for its third Big 12 match of the season.
Baylor 7, Oklahoma 0
3-9-07 at Norman
1. Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Monica Price (OU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Irina Lykina (OU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-3
5. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Rachael Cox (OU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 4
1. Zuzana Cerna/ Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) def. Gabby Baker/ Irina Lykina (OU) 8-6
2. Broosova/ Zrustova (BU) def. Purice/ Baxley (OU) 8-5
3. Cox/ Orr (OU) def. Milhaylova/ Bielikova (BU) 8-4