The Oklahoma men’s tennis team fell to the 20th-ranked Texas A&M, 6-1, on Sat., March 27, at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas. Texas A&M improves to 14-6 on the season and 3-0 in the Big 12 while the Sooners fall to a 12-3 overall record and 0-1 in the Big 12.
“Losing the doubles point didn’t help against a nationally-ranked team,” said head coach Paul Lockwood. “We just couldn’t win the close matches. We are ready for Texas and I expect us to play much better tomorrow.”
Oklahoma lost all three of the doubles matches. Junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) and freshman Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) were overcome by Texas A&M’s Mohamed Dakki and El Dorry, 8-3, making the pair 5-1 on the season. Junior Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) and sophomore Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) were able to post four points against the No. 1-ranked duo of Lester Cook and Ante Matijevic before losing, 8-4.
In singles play, the Sooners won one out of the six matches. Fukala competed solid to pull out a three-set victory over A&M’s Brett Joelson, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6). Tanasoiu was upset by A&M’s Bryan Wooten after a close 10-7 tiebreaker, 7-6 (11), 3-6, 1-0.
Sophomore Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) suffered his first singles loss of the season against A&M’s Marvin Rolle in a tight three-game match, 6-4, 6-7 (8), 1-0. Gregg fought hard and only lost by two points in the third set, 10-8. Velicka also lost his first match as a Sooner to the No. 9-ranked Matijevic, 6-3, 7-6 (11).
The Sooners face more challenging Big 12 competition against No. 28 Texas on Sun., March 28, at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin, Texas. Action is set to begin at 1 p.m.
Texas A&M 6, Oklahoma 1
Saturday, March 27, 2004
George P. Mitchell Tennis Center, College Station, Texas
1. (#20) Lester Cook (A&M) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 6-2, 6-1
2. (#9) Ante Matijevic (A&M) def. Marek Velicka (OU), 6-3, 7-6 (11)
3. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Brett Joelson (A&M), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Khaled El Dorry (A&M) def. Tommy Garrison (OU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Bryan Wooten (A&M) def. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU), 7-6 (11), 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Marvin Rolle (A&M) def. Lee Gregg (OU), 6-4, 6-7 (8), 1-0 (10-8)
1. (#1) Cook/Matijevic (A&M) def. Fukala/Garrison (OU), 8-4
2. Joelson/Rolle (A&M) def. Ivanov/Matt Long (OU), 8-4
3. Mohamed Dakki/El Dorry (A&M) def. Tanasoiu/Velicka (OU), 8-3