Oklahoma NFL Draft Primer
By Athletics Communications
University of Oklahoma
APRIL 25, 2013
April 25, 2013
|NFL DRAFT PRIMER|
|WHAT:||78th Annual National Football League Player Selection Meeting|
|WHERE:||Radio City Music Hall - New York City|
|WHEN:||7:00 p.m. CT - Thursday, April 25 (Round 1)
5:30 p.m. CT - Friday, April 26 (Rounds 2-3)
11 a.m. CT - Saturday, April 27 (Rounds 4-7)
|WHO:||Oklahoma T Lane Johnson is one of 23 players invited to attend the NFL Draft.|
|SELECTIONS:||There will be 254 selections, including 32 compensatory choices.
|TIME LIMITS:||Round 1: 10 minutes per selection.
Round 2: Seven minutes per selection.
Rounds 3 through 7: Five minutes per selection.
|TELEVISION:||NFL Network, ESPN/ESPN 2 will televise the draft on all three days.|
|TRACKER:||NFL.com Draft Tracker|
|Oklahoma Draft Notes|
- OU has supplied 357 players all-time in the NFL Draft (fourth-highest total of all schools).
- The Sooners have produced 42 first-round draft choices.
- Three Oklahoma players have been tabbed as the No. 1 over picks:
- QB Sam Bradford (St. Louis Rams - 2010)
- RB Billy Sims (Detroit Lions - 1980)
- DE Lee Roy Selmon (Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 1976)
- Brian Bosworth was the No. 1 pick by the Seattle Seahawks in the 1987 NFL Supplemental Draft
- Dating back to 1990, only one school (Ohio State, 14 in 2004) has had more than 11 players selected in a single draft. Oklahoma had 11 players selected in 2005.
- The Arizona Cardinals have selected 38 players from OU, the highest total of any franchise.
- The Houston Texans are the only NFL team that has not selected an OU player in the draft.
|The Stoops Era|
- A total of 61 Stoops' players at OU have been drafted, including 12 first-round picks.
- Oklahoma supplied three of the top four selections in the 2010 NFL Draft, a first in NFL history - QB Sam Bradford (No. 1), DT Gerald McCoy (No. 3) and T Trent Williams (No. 4).
- Dating back to 2000, only eight schools have had four or more players selected in the first round of a single draft. Oklahoma had four players picked in 2010.
- Four Oklahoma offensive linemen have previously been selected in the first round under Stoops - Trent Williams (No. 4), Jammal Brown (No. 13), Stockar McDougle (20) and Davin Joseph (23).
- The 2012 NFL Most Valuable Player - RB Adrian Peterson - was the seventh overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft.
- A total of eight Oklahoma wide receivers have been selected in the last eight drafts.
- The Sooners have had 10 linebackers drafted under Stoops, the highest total of any position.
- Oklahoma has boasted four or more draftees each of the past five seasons.
|What to Watch in 2013|
- Dating back to 2000, Oklahoma is seeking to become only the fourth school to have two offensive tackles selected in the top 10 of the NFL Draft (Alabama, Texas and Virginia).
- Lane Johnson could become the 14th player in OU history selected in the top five and the 21st OU player tabbed in the top 10.
- Johnson would become the eighth offensive tackle to be drafted during the Stoops' era and the fourth to be picked in the first round.
- Johnson would be the 13th Oklahoma player selected in the first round under Stoops.
- Kenny Stills is seeking to become the third member of his family drafted. His father, Ken, was an eighth-round pick of Green Bay (1985). His cousin, Gary, was a third-round pick of Kansas City (1999).