April 5, 2009
LINCOLN, Neb.—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to No. 66 Nebraska Sunday afternoon, 6-1.
In doubles action, Oklahoma picked up a win at the No. 2 spot behind sophomore Tara Eckel and freshman Marie-Pier Huet. Eckel and Huet defeated Maria Ring and Wiveca Swarting of Nebraska, 8-1. Eckel and Huet have won 10 of their last 11 doubles matches and hold a team-best 12-3 record in doubles.
“We played some very good tennis today and competed well,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Nebraska was very impressive and just kept coming up with plays.”
In singles, Oklahoma claimed one point at the No. 1 spot with another win from sophomore standout Ana-Maria Constantinescu. Constantinescu defeated Nebraska’s Madeleine Geibert, picking up her 15th win this season. Constantinescu is 15-2 on the season at the No. 1 spot, including two wins over nationally-ranked individuals.
Oklahoma (8-11, 2-6 Big 12) entered Sunday’s match coming off a strong showing against Iowa State. The Sooners defeated the Cyclones on the road, 6-1. Sunday’s match against Nebraska marked Oklahoma’s 14th road match this season and ninth match against a nationally-ranked opponent.
The Sooners will play their last road match of the season on Wednesday, April 8. Oklahoma will face in-state rival, Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Okla., at 2 p.m.
Nebraska 6, Oklahoma 1
1. Albers/Geibert def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova, 8-2
2. Eckel/Huet def. Ring/Swarting, 8-1
3. Holmberg/Weatherholt def. Lancaster/Radan, 8-3
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu def. Madeleine Geibert, 4-1, ret. (injury)
2. Mary Weatherholt def. Maria Kalashnikova, 6-0, 6-1
3. Wiveca Swarting def. Kristina Radan, 6-1, 6-4
4. Jana Albers def. Marie-Pier Huet, 6-2, 7-6 (6)
5. Jennifer Holmberg def. Peta Maree Lancaster, 6-2, 7-5
6. Stephanie Evans def. Brittany Baldy, 6-2, 6-3