NORMAN, Okla. The Oklahoma men’s tennis team lost its second Big 12 match of the season Wednesday, falling to tenth-ranked Texas Tech, 5-2, at the Mcleod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas. The Sooners fall to 13-2 on the season while the Red Raiders improve to 19-1. OU drops to 0-2 in the Big 12, while Texas Tech improves to 1-1.
The Sooners two points came from the singles. At No. 3, OU senior Ondrej Fukala moved to 12-1 on the season with a three-set victory over Texas Tech’s Jakob Paulsen, 6-7, 6-2, 6-1. Fukala’s only loss this season was to NO. 1 Baylor’s 19th-ranked Lars Poerschke. Junior Tommy Garrison posted OU’s second point by defeating Michael Innerebner, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1. Garrison is now 2-0 in Big 12 play and 10-3 overall. Junior Alexei Ivanov couldn’t hold on long enough, losing a three-set match to Tech’s 23rd-ranked Bojan Szumanski, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
OU struggled in the doubles as Texas Tech swept Oklahoma at all three positions, marking the second time all season OU has not earned the doubles point. OU’s 58th-ranked team of senior Silviu Tanasoiu and sophomore Marek Velicka fell to TTU’s Esat Tanik and Adrian Prpic, 8-6. The duo now owns a spring record of 10-3.
The Sooners look for a couple of wins when they return home to Norman for a pair of games against Texas A&M on Sat., April 2 and Texas on Sun., April 3.
For more information on Oklahoma men’s tennis and to access live scoring visit www.SoonerSports.com.
Texas Tech 5, Oklahoma 2
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Mcleod Tennis Center
1. Radek Nijaki (TTU) def. Marek Velicka (OU), 7-6, 6-1
2. Bojan Szumanski (TTU) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Jakob Paulsen (TTU), 6-7, 6-2, 6-1
4. Esat Tanik def. Silviu Tanasoiu, 6-1, 6-3
5. Tommy Garrison (TTU) def. Michael Innerebner (TTU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Adrian Prpic (TTU) def. Lee Gregg (OU), 7-5, 6-1
1. Radek Nijaki/Bojan Szumanski (TTU) def. Tommy Garrison/Ondrej Fukala (OU), 8-3
2. Esat Tanik/Adrian Prpic (TTU) def. Marek Velicka/Silviu Tanasoiu (OU), 8-6
3. Michael Innerebner/Jakob Paulsen (TTU) def. Alexei Ivanov/Ryan Thomas (OU), 8-4