FT. WORTH, Texas - The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to No. 26 TCU on Wednesday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in Ft. Worth, Texas. The loss dropped Oklahoma to 4-5 overall, while TCU improved to 6-3.
At No. 2 doubles, junior Irina Lykina and sophomore Christi Baxley paired up for the first time this spring. The Sooner duo was defeated, 8-7 (6), by Ana Cetnik and Karine Ionesco. The Frogs won the doubles point with a win at No. 3 doubles, where juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice were downed by Kewa Nichols and Andrea Morgado, 8-2. Sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr also competed in doubles at the No. 1 spot but lost their match.
The Sooners were unable to earn a win in singles and dropped five of the six matches in straight sets. At No. 5, Baxley won her first set, 6-4, but Gloriann Lopez came back to defeat Baxley in the second and third sets, 6-2, 10-2. Also competing in singles were Baker, Purice, Lykina, Orr and freshman Brittany Baldy.
Oklahoma will return to action on Friday, March 10, to face BYU at 11 a.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
1. Nicole Leimbach (TCU) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Helena Besovic (TCU) def. Monica Purice (OU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ana Cetnik (TCU) def. Irina Lykina (OU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kewa Nichols (TCU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-2
6. Karine Ionesco (TCU) def. Brittany Baldy (OU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5,
1. Sydorska/Besovic (TCU) def. Baker/Orr (OU) 8-5
2. Cetnik/Ionesco (TCU) def. Lykina/Baxley (OU) 8-7 (6)
3. Nichols/Morgado (TCU) def. Carter/Purice (OU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2