Nov. 9, 2010
|Colorado (6-15, 3-12 Big 12) at Oklahoma (17-8, 9-5 Big 12)|
|Date||Wednesday, November 10, 2010 | 7 p.m. CT|
|Location||McCasland Field House | Norman, Okla.|
|Tickets||Available: $8 adults | $5 youth|
|Promotions||OU Faculty/Staff Appreciation Night|
|Online||Webcast | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma volleyball team returns home Wednesday evening to take on Colorado in a 7 p.m. CT matchup at McCasland Field House. A webcast and free live stats are available at SoonerSports.com.
Oklahoma looks to rebound from a 3-1 loss at No. 8 Texas Saturday afternoon. The Sooners defeated Colorado in a sweep on Sept. 15 in Boulder (25-15, 25-23, 25-21). OU hit .212 as a team and held the Buffs to a .102 hitting percentage. Suzy Boulavsky led the way with a match-high 11 kills. Sallie McLaurin added nine kills and hit .368 to lead the Sooners. Sarah Freudenrich added seven kills, hitting .500 and Brianne Barker had 27 assists.
OU is 9-15 all-time against the Buffs in Norman. CU holds a 35-18 series advantage. Oklahoma is 8-4 against Colorado under head coach Santiago Restrepo and 5-1 in Norman during that same span. OU has not dropped a home contest to CU since Sept. 24, 2005 (3-2).
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- OU fell in four sets at No. 8 Texas Saturday afternoon (12-25, 19-25, 25-21, 24-26). OU has lost two straight for the second time this year.
- Oklahoma is 7-3 at home this season and 4-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-3 on the road and 5-3 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week on Nov. 1. She previously earned the honor October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 30 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 26th in the nation with 1.28 bps.
- McLaurin’s average is the third-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year .
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for BS (24), BA (90) and blocks per set average (1.28).
- McLaurin has 63 blocks in Big 12 play (16 BS/47 BA), a freshman mark last reached by Baylor’s Torri Campbell in 2009 (6 BS/66 BA).
- The last freshman to have more total blocks in conference play was Kansas’ Josiane Lima in 2002 (15 BS/59 BA/74 TB).
- In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 16 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- McLaurin’s 114 TB are also an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. She’s the first Sooner to ever have 100 or more in the era.
- Junior Brianne Barker is the sixth Sooner setter to record 3,000-plus career assists. Barker has 3,038 assists.
- Barker averages 10.12 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league and 86th in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.46 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 22 matches this year.
- Boulavsky’s 332 kills this season are an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. The previous was set by Boulavsky in 2009 (320).
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has seven matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 14 service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .335 hitting percentage. She’s 89th in the nation in the category.
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team.
A LOOK AT COLORADO
- Colorado is 3-12 in Big 12 play. The Buffaloes have lost six straight since defeating Texas Tech on Oct. 13.
- Colorado is 1-6 on the road in league play, just 1-8 overall. The lone road win was a five-set win at Texas Tech.
- Kerra Schroeder leads the Buffs with 3.82 kills per set, an averge she matches in conference matches.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Colorado leads the all-time series with Oklahoma, 35-18 but the Sooners have won eight of the last 10 meetings.
- Oklahoma is 8-4 against the Buffaloes under head coach Santiago Restrepo and 5-1 in Norman during that same span.
- The two teams have evenly split the last 10 meetings in Norman. OU’s last home loss to CU was on Sept. 24, 2005 (3-2).
- The Sooners defeated Colorado in a sweep on Sept. 15 in Boulder. OU hit .212 as a team and held the Buffs to a .102 hitting percentage.
- Boulavsky led the way with a match-high 11 kills. McLaurin added nine kills and hit .368 to lead the Sooners.
- Freudenrich added seven kills, hitting .500 and Barker had 27 assists.