NORMAN, Okla. -- Sooner Sports Properties, the Division of Learfield Communications that holds multi-media rights for University of Oklahoma Athletics, has signed an agreement that will make Clear Channel in Tulsa the Sooners’ new radio home in that market.
Eric Barnhart, SSP General Manager, made the announcement today.
OU Athletics Director Joe Castiglione said he was pleased with the new agreement.
“Our goal in this process was to maintain or increase the strength in our transmitting signal and respond to our fans’ requests to broadcast more events,” he said. “Toward that end we’re bringing women’s basketball, baseball other events to be added later into the marketplace.
“We also are grateful for the support we enjoyed from KFAQ for many years. They linked us to thousands of fans during that time and we thank them for that service.”
Barnhart said the new agreement offers exciting opportunities and growth in programming.
“The 100,000-watt signal of KMOD provides us with great penetration into Tulsa and much of northeast Oklahoma,” he said, “and we are going to be bringing more events to the Tulsa area in a wider range of sports. Clear Channel is extending to us the opportunity to better serve the massive OU fan base.
“In turn, we look forward to providing to Clear Channel quality programming and the support of thousands of Sooner fans to their stations and advertisers.”
The four-year agreement begins with the 2007-08 school year. It will feature the following ...
* All OU football games carried on KMOD 97.5 FM.
* "Game of the Week" men's basketball game carried on KMOD 97.5 FM (approx. 15 games).
* All remaining men's basketball games carried on KTBZ AM 1430 (approx. 15).
* Minimum of 15 women's basketball games carried on KAKC AM 1300 (possibility of more games added during the season).
* 11 baseball games carried on KAKC AM 1300.
* Sooner Sports Talk carried on KTBZ AM 1430.
* Coaches Corner carried on KTBZ AM 1430.
* Sooner Sports Today carried daily on KTBZ AM 1430.
At its peak, the Sooner Network includes 38 affiliates located in five states in addition to distribution on the World Wide Web.