COLUMBIA, Mo. The Oklahoma women's tennis team improved to 2-1 in the spring and 1-0 in the Big 12 with a 4-3 win over Missouri on Monday at the Green Tennis Center in Columbia, Mo.
In doubles action, sophomore Gabby Baker and junior Irina Lykina edged Hana Kraftova and Chrissy Svetlic, 9-7. Sophomore Chelsea Orr and junior Monica Purice won the doubles point for OU with a 9-8 (7-1) defeat over Yelena Olshanakaya and Val Dandik.
The Sooners took wins at the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles positions to clinch the match. At the No. 2 spot, Lykina fell to Dandik in her first set, 4-6, but bounced back in the second and third sets, 6-1, 6-3. Purice stepped into the No. 3 position where she faced Erika Josbena and downed her in two sets, 6-1, 7-5. Sophomore Christi Baxley added a point for the Sooners with a 7-6, 7-6, victory over Olshanskaya. The match was particularly important for Lykina, Purice and Baxley, as they picked up their first singles wins of the spring season.
Oklahoma will face two tough matches on the road next weekend as they travel to Fresno, Calif., to face Arizona (7-0) on Feb. 18 and Fresno State (1-2) on Feb. 19. Arizona and Fresno State are ranked No. 58 and No. 45, respectively, in the latest Fila Collegiate Tennis Rankings.
1. Gabby Baker/Irina Lykina (OU) def. Hana Kraftova/Chrissy Svetlic (MU) 9-7
2. Chelsea Orr/Monica Purice (OU) def. Yelena Olshanskaya/Val Dandik (MU) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Amanda Pratzel/Erika Josbena (MU) def. Christi Baxley/Brittany Baldy (OU) 8-4
1. Hana Kraftova (MU) def. No. 73 Gabby Baker (OU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Val Dandik (MU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Erika Josbena (MU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Yelena Olshanskaya (MU) 7-6, 7-6
5. Chrissy Svetlic (MU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 7-6 (1), 4-6, 10-8
6. Amanda Pratzel (MU) def. Brittany Baldy (OU) 6-4, 6-1