MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. In its first match of the spring season, the University of Oklahoma women's tennis team fell to No. 11 North Carolina, 7-0, Saturday at the Minnesota Court Classic in Minneapolis.
The Golden Gophers claimed the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. However, the Sooner duo of sophomore Gabby Baker and junior Irina Lykina picked up an 8-6 win over Jenna Long and Sara Anundsen, who are ranked No. 11 in the country and were 14-6 on the season before facing Oklahoma.
At No. 1 singles, Baker dropped a, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, decision to No. 28 Jenna Long. Lykina also lost a tough match to No. 46 Caitlin Collins, 6-2, 2-6, 10-7. Junior Monica Purice, sophomores Christi Baxley and Chelsea Orr and freshman Brittany Baldy also competed in singles competition but lost in straight sets.
The Sooners take to the courts again tomorrow, this time facing host Minnesota at 11 a.m.
1. #28 Jenna Long (UNC) def. #73 Gabby Baker (OU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #46 Caitlin Collins (UNC) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-2, 2-6, 10-7
3. Sara Anundsen (UNC) def. Monica Purice(OU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Austin Smith (UNC) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Tanja Markovic (UNC) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Charlotte Tansill (UNC) def. Brittany Baldy (OU), 6-3, 6-2
1. Baker/Lykina (OU) def. #11 Long/Anundsen (UNC), 8-6
2. Collins/Markovic (UNC) def. Orr/Purice (OU), 8-6
3. #50 Smith/Meg Fanjoy (UNC) def. Anne Carter/Baxley (OU), 8-4