Oct. 5, 2010
|Oklahoma (11-5, 3-2 Big 12) at Kansas State (9-7, 3-2 Big 12)|
|Date||Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2010 | 7 p.m. CT|
|Location||Ahearn Field House | Manhattan, Kan.|
|Tickets||Available: $7 adults | $4 youth|
|Television||Fox Sports Kansas City|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- The Sooners rebounded from two straight losses to defeat Baylor in Waco Saturday. OU won 25-22, 25-21, 13-25 and 25-22.
- OU is 2-1 in conference play on the road. The Sooners won at Colorado on Sept. 15 and Baylor on Oct. 2 and lost at Iowa State on Sept. 25.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State and Tennessee teams.
- Oklahoma’s 13.07 kills per set are fifth-best in the Big. Its 12.03 assists per set are also fifth-best in the conference this season.
- The team’s .207 team hitting percentage is sixth-best in the Big 12. The 15.00 digs per set are fifth-best in the conference.
- Oklahoma holds opponents to a .187 hitting percentage, seventh-best in the Big 12.
- The Sooners have recorded at least five blocks in 14 of the 16 matches played this season.
- Oklahoma is hitting .205 in conference matches and averaging 13.50 kills per set. The Sooners average 16.9 digs and 1.80 blocks per set.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky leads OU with a 3.44 kills per set average, a mark that is sixth-best in the Big 12.
- Junior Brianne Barker is averaging 9.89 assists per set and 2.52 digs per set. Barker is third in the conference in assists per set.
- Senior Sarah Freudenrich’s .368 hitting percentage is third-best in the Big 12 and 45th best in the nation.
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin ranks ninth on that same list, hitting .307.
- Sophomore María Fernanda’s 4.39 digs per set ranks fifth among Big 12 players.
A LOOK AT KANSAS STATE
- Kansas State has won two straight, defeating Texas A&M this past Saturday and UMKC in a non-conference match on Sept. 28.
- JuliAnne Chisholm leads the Wildcats with 3.40 kills per set, eighth-best in the Big 12.
- Kaitlynn Pelger is second on the team, averaging 2.72 kills per set. Pelger ranks ninth in the Big 12 in blocks (1.08).
- Caitlyn Donahue ranks fifth in the league with 9.53 assists per set and sixth in service aces (0.31).
- Lauren Mathewson averages 4.43 digs per set, fourth in the league.
- As a team, the Wildcats are hitting .177 and holding opponents to a .167 average.
- KSU ranks in the top five in opponent hitting percentage (.167, fifth), blocks (2.72, second) and service aces (1.30, third).
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series with the Wildcats 46-25-1 and has won two straight. The teams tied in their first meeting in 1975.
- The Sooners are 6-6 against the Wildcats under head coach Santiago Restrepo. KSU has won seven of the last 10 matches in Manhattan.
- The Sooners are home for two straight matches beginning Saturday. OU takes on Missouri at 7 p.m. CT.
- Oklahoma hosts No. 11 Texas Wednesday, October 13 at 6 p.m. CT. The match airs nationally on ESPNU.
SOONERS SET CAREER MARKS
Several Sooners have set career marks during the 2010 season. Brianne Barker: service aces (4), kills (7) and assists (57); Suzy Boulavsky: kills (22); María Fernanda: digs (29) and assists (9) and Morgan Reynolds: kills (14).
SOONERS WRAP UP NON-CONFERENCE PLAY AT 8-3
Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play with losses to Wichita State and ranked Tennessee and Florida State squads. Suzy Boulavsky averaged 3.49 kills per set in those 11 matches played, while Sarah Freudenrich led the team with a .393 hitting percentage. Brianne Barker averaged 10.00 assists per set, while María Fernanda averaged 4.23 digs. Sallie McLaurin led the team in blocks with 1.38 per set.
RESTREPO GETS OU WIN NO. 100
Oklahoma head coach Santiago Restrepo recorded his 100th victory at the helm of the OU program with a sweep of UT-Arlington on August 29.
FREUDENRICH NAMED WYNN INVITATIONAL MVP
Sarah Freudenrich was named the Most Valuable Player of the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational Sept. 10-11. Freudenrich hit .407, averaging 2.80 kills per set and 1.00 blocks. María Fernanda and Sallie McLaurin were named to the all-tournament team. Fernanda had 4.83 digs per set while McLaurin averaged 1.67 blocks per set.
BOULAVSKY, BARKER NAMED TO ALL-TOURNEY TEAMS
Suzy Boulavsky and Brianne Barker were named to the all-tournament team at the Nike Invitational. Barker was also named to the all-tournament team at the Houston Invitational.
EKWEREKWU A LOWE’S SENIOR CLASS AWARD FINALIST
University of Oklahoma volleyball senior Francie Ekwerekwu (Arlington, Texas) has been named one of 30 finalists for the inaugural Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award for the sport of volleyball. From the list of 30 candidates, a national media committee will select 10 finalists for the 2010 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award in mid-October. Those 10 names will then be placed on the official ballot for a nationwide vote. Fan balloting will be coupled with votes from coaches and media to determine the recipient of the award. The winner will be announced at the 2010 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship in December.
DUO NAMED PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12
Francie Ekwerekwu was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 preseason team and Brianne Barker was named to the team, as well. Both Barker and Ekwerekwu earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors last season.
SOONERS SELECTED TO FINISH FOURTH
The University of Oklahoma volleyball team received 65 points to place fourth in the preseason coaches’ poll. Nebraska received nine first-place votes and 98 points to finish just ahead of Texas (91). The Longhorns received two first-place votes. Iowa State (84) was third, followed by OU and Missouri (63). Baylor (52), Texas A&M (48), Kansas (38), Kansas State (37), Texas Tech (15) and Colorado (14) rounded out the voting.