Oct. 15, 2010
|Oklahoma (13-6, 5-3 Big 12) at Kansas (13-6, 4-4 Big 12)|
|Date||Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010 | 6:30 p.m. CT|
|Location||Horejsi Family Athletics Center | Lawrence, Kan.|
|Tickets||Available: $8 adults | $5 youth|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma dropped a four set match to No. 11 Texas Wednesday evening in Norman (25-19, 28-30, 17-25, 25-23).
- The Sooners rank in the top five in the Big 12 in assists (fifth), kills (fifth) and digs (fourth).
- Oklahoma is 5-2 at home this season and 2-1 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 6-1 on the road and 3-1 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week on Oct. 11. McLaurin was key in OU's win over Missouri on Oct. 9.
- McLaurin posted a team-best 34.0 points on the week and averaged 3.00 kills and a league-best 2.43 blocks per set. She also hit .283.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 25 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 21st in the nation with 1.34 bps.
- After missing the Iowa State match due to personal reasons, junior Caitlin Higgins has had four double-doubles in five matches played.
- Higgins averaged just 1.77 kills per set in non-conference action and has rebounded to average 2.29 per set in - conference play.
- Junior setter Brianne Barker has tallied five consecutive double-doubles. Barker is averaging 10.38 assists per set in those matches.
- Barker averages 10.15 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league. That tally ranks in the nation’s top 75.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.42 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 16 matches this year.
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has six matches with 20 or more digs this season, including 23 digs in two of the last four.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for nine service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, seniors Sarah Freudenrich and Francie Ekwerekwu are seeing time.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .355 hitting percentage, connecting on 135 of her 279 attempts (36 errors).
- Ekwerekwu provides a spark defensively, averaging 0.94 blocks per set.
A LOOK AT KANSAS
- Kansas ranks in the top five in the Big 12 in opponent hitting percentage (second), digs (fifth) and service aces (fifth).
- Karina Garlington leads the team with 3.46 kills per set. Nicole Tate is KU’s leading setter with 9.35 assists per set.
- Carolina Jarmoc carries the Jayhawks in hitting percentage (.266) and blocks (0.93 per set).
- The Jayhawks defeated Baylor in four sets Wednesday night in Waco.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series with the Jayhawks, 41-29 but KU holds a 15-13 advantage in matches played in Lawrence
- The two teams have split the last 10 meeting and OU has won in Lawrence only once in the last 10 meetings there.
- Oklahoma is 5-7 against Kansas under head coach Santiago Restrepo and 1-5 in Lawrence during that same time.
- Oklahoma returns home Wednesday evening to face Texas A&M at 7 p.m. CT. OU is at Texas Tech next Saturday.