LUBBOCK, Texas In the last match of the regular season, the University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to Texas Tech, 5-2, in Lubbock on Friday. OU wraps up with a 9-15 overall record and a 3-8 mark in Big 12 matches.
Texas Tech got in front early by winning the doubles matches at No. 1 and No. 2 to win the doubles point. Sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr dropped an 8-2 decision to Tara Browning and Lakann Wagley, while sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina fell, 8-4, to Janet Durham and Cigdem Duru. The only Sooner duo to win a match was juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice, who walked off the court with an 8-6 victory over Katja Kovavic and Erin Hunter.
Texas Tech went on to win the first three singles match-ups to clinch the match. At No. 2, Lykina fell in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, to Duru, while Orr dropped a, 6-3, 6-4, decision to Hunter at No. 5. The Lady Raiders won one more match at No. 6, where Carter fell to Kovavic, before Oklahoma was able to get on the board.
Baxley, the first Sooner to win her match, upended Wagley after dropping her first set in a three-set match, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5. Purice dropped a, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, decision at No. 3, but OU ended the match with Baker taking her match at No. 1 against Browning.
The Sooners will begin the postseason on Thursday at the Big 12 Championships, hosted by Baylor in Waco, Texas.
1. Browning/Wagley (TTU) def. Baker/Orr (OU), 8-2
2. Durham/Duru (TTU) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-4
3. Carter/Purice (OU) def. Kovacic/Hunter (TTU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Tara Browning (TTU), 6-3, 2-6, 5-7
2. Cigdem Duru (TTU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Janet Durham (TTU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Lakann Wagley (TTU), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Erin Hunter (TTU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Katja Kovavic (TTU) def. Anne Carter (OU), 6-1, 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6, 4, 3, 1