March 29, 2002
West Regional Champions: No. 1 Seed Oklahoma
Road to Final Four: Beat Hartford 84-52, Villanova 66-53, Texas Tech 72-62, Colorado 94-60 and Duke 86-71.
1. After their win over Duke today, the Sooners connected on an important phone call to the Oklahoma men's basketball team in Atlanta and in unison yelled, "It's your turn, now!" Oklahoma Athletics Director Joe Castiglione made the phone call from the women's post game locker room celebration.
2. This is Oklahoma's first Final Four. Oklahoma is 11-4 overall in the NCAA Tournament. They have never faced Tennessee. They are 1-0 against Duke. The Sooners are 0-3 vs. Connecticut, losing their last meeting 88-72 at the Hartford Civic Center on Dec. 22, 2001. The last time the teams faced each other in the NCAA Tournament, Connecticut defeated Oklahoma 102-80 at the 2000 East Regional Semifinal in Va. The first meeting between the two teams was a 84-68 the regional in 4 of 5 trips to the NCAA tournament.
3. Oklahoma is 13-3 against teams ranked in the Top 25 this season. They are 6-2 against schools in the top ten.
4. The Sooners have faced three No. 1 Seeds and one No. 2 Seed in NCAA tournament play, losing three of the four games. The No. 1 seeds were Duke today, Texas in 1986 and Connecticut in 2000 with Texas and Connecticut going on to win the national title that year. The No. 2 seed was Louisiana Tech in 1995.
5. Oklahoma is the first Big XII team ever to make the National Championship game. They are also the first team in the Big XII to make the Final Four.
6. The Sooners are one of only three teams to have men's and women's teams appearing in their respective Final Fours in the same year. The other teams were Georgia, whose teams both lost in the National semifinals in 1982-83, and Duke, whose teams both lost in the National title game in 1998-99.
7. Oklahoma won the Big XII Conference regular season title for the third consecutive year.
8. It was 12 years ago during the week of the Final Four that administrators at Oklahoma announced they were dropping the women's basketball program. The program was reinstated eight days later.
9. Oklahoma is 3-0 this season in the city of San Antonio. The Sooners won the University of Texas at San Antonio Tournament Nov. 23-24 defeating Butler 90-44 and North Teas 83-68.
10. The Sooners are undefeated (11-0) in Neutral-site games this season.
11. On Fridays this season, Oklahoma is 2-0. On Sunday they are 3-0. On TV games they are 17-2, and on ESPN they are 4-1. Oklahoma is 26-0 when they lead at the half this season.
12. Three times in the NCAA tournament they have overcome deficits to win. (down 11 vs. Villanova in the second round, down three to Texas Tech at the half in the Regional Final and down 6 in the early minutes of the National Semifinal against Duke).
13. The Oklahoma team toured the Alamodome in November while in San Antonio for the UTSA tournament. During the tour, the Sooners were shown the court and potential locker rooms they would use after earning a trip back for the Final Four.
14. The Sooners boast eight players on the Academic All-Big XII team. The overall team GPA is 3.44 for the Fall Semester, an all-time Oklahoma women's basketball best.
15. Oklahoma will finish this season with its fewest losses in school history. The previous low for losses in a season was seven, which happened in 1984-85 (23-7) and 1985-86 (24-7).
16. The Sooners, 32-3, will finish the season with the most wins in school history. The previous high win season was 2000-01 when they won 28 games (28-7)
17. Oklahoma set a team record for three-point field goal attempts in an NCAA tournament game with 25 (previous record was 24 vs. Stanford 3-19-01). They also set a team mark for fewest offensive rebounds in an NCAA tournament game with six (previous record was seven vs. Colorado 3-26-02)
18. The Sooners tied a team record for fewest blocks in an NCAA Tournament game with zero (four times). Duke set a record for Oklahoma opponents for fewest steals in an NCAA tournament game with five (previous low was six by Villanova 3-18-02 and Stanford 3-19-01).
19. Oklahoma played in front of its largest crowd ever, 29,619. The previous high attendance for a Sooner game was 16,294 in the 86-72 loss Dec. 22, 2001 at Connecticut.
20. Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating and First Lady Cathy Keating arrived in time for the first half of the Duke - Oklahoma game. Following the game, Mrs. Keating, an honorary assistant coach for the Sooners this season, made a special presentation to Coach Sherri Coale, the Sooner players, University of Oklahoma President David Boren and Oklahoma Athletic Administrators, calling them "Stars of Oklahoma."
1. Stacey Dales became only the sixth player to receive Associated Press All America First Team honors in consecutive seasons. She is the first Sooner to receive the honor in back-to-back years.
2. Shannon Selmon is part of a very athletic family. Her father, Dewey, was an All-American Defensive Lineman for the Sooner football team from 1972-75. He was later drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL. Her uncles, Lucious and Lee Roy, were also All-American football players for Oklahoma. Her sisters, Megan and Lauren play basketball for Trinity University and Baylor, respectively.
3. Stacey Dales is the Big XII career assist leader with 759.
4. With 398 career steals, LaNeishea Caufield is only four steals short of Arkansas' Sonja Tate for 12th on the NCAA All-time list.
5. Rosalind Ross averaged 10.7 points per game during the season and 8.0 in the tournament. Today she had a career high 26. She also recorded her third double-double of the season with 10 rebounds.
6. With four steals tonight, LaNeishea Caufield solidified her position in second place on the Big 12 all-time steals list with 398 career steals.