Sooners Advance to Battle Baylor
April 26, 2012
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The seventh-seeded Oklahoma women’s tennis team defeated 10-seed Kansas, 4-0, Thursday to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2012 Big 12 Championships in College Station, Texas.
Oklahoma will face No. 2 Baylor on Friday, April 27 at 3 p.m. during the quarterfinals.
“Today was about what I expected,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Doubles was a little closer than when we played them in regular season. They did a little better job, but in the first sets we did a great job."
The Sooners won the doubles point along with three singles matches in straight sets to beat the Jayhawks and advance.
OU’s 35th ranked duo of Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie defeated Monica Pezzotti and Dylan Windom of Kansas at the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-5, to clinch the doubles point for OU.
Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose won the Sooners’ first doubles match at the No. 2 spot against KU’s Paulina Los and Maria Belen Luduena, 8-2.
“All across the board I think we won every first set,” Mullins said. “We played some of the best tennis we’ve played all year, so we are in good position going into tomorrow. ”
In singles, the Sooners won three points quickly to secure the victory after giving up just 12 games over three matches.
Whitney Wofford won OU’s second match point at the No. 6 spot after defeating Victoria Khanevskaya of KU, 6-2, 6-1.
Ritchie increased the Sooners’ lead to 3-0 with her win against Pezzotti at the No. 1 spot, 6-1, 6-1.
Mia Lancaster clinched OU’s win and insured the team’s quarterfinal berth at the No. 3 spot. The sophomore defeated Luduena of Kansas, 6-3, 6-4.
OU narrowly lost to Baylor, 4-3, in the regular season meeting of the teams on March 30 in Waco, Texas.
(7) Oklahoma 4, (10) Kansas 0
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Monica Pezzotti (KU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) led Paulina Los (KU), 6-2, 4-5 DNF
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Maria Belen Ludueña (KU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Abbi Melrose (OU) led Dylan Windom (KU), 6-1, 4-5 DNF
5. Nicole Long (OU) led Claire Dreyer (KU), 6-2, 2-5 DNF
6. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU), 6-2, 6-1
1. (#35) Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. (#89) Pezzotti/Windom (KU), 8-5
2. M. Lancaster/Melrose (OU) def. Los/Ludueña (KU), 8-2
3. Peta Maree Lancaster/Wofford (OU) led Dreyer/Khanevskaya (KU), 6-5, DNF
FINISH ORDER: Doubles: 2, 1; Singles: 6, 1, 3