OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to Colorado in a closely fought match on Friday night. The loss puts OU at 7-12 overall and 1-6 in the Big 12.
Due to concerns over inclement weather, the match was moved to the Willow Creek Indoor Facility in Oklahoma City. Because the facility only had three courts, the match lasted over six hours.
The match began with doubles competition, with Oklahoma winning the doubles point. At No. 1, the Sooner duo of sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr picked up the first victory with an 8-3 win over Gleisy Torres Torres and Jessica Vanderdys. Sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina dropped their match to Monica Milewski and Franziska Jendrian, 8-5, at the No. 2 spot, but OU came back to win at the No. 3 position thanks to juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice. The tandem upended Ewa Losinski and Jenny Hanson, 8-6, to clinch the doubles point for OU.
Singles competition proved to be intense, with three matches going into three sets. Baker won her match in straight sets at No. 1 against Vanderdys, which gave Oklahoma a 2-0 advantage. The win also extended Baker's winning streak to five matches.
Colorado came back with a win at No. 2, with Lykina falling to Milewski in straight sets. The battle continued at the No. 3 slot, where Purice defeated Losinski, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4. However, Purice was the last Sooner to win her singles match. Colorado proceeded to take the matches at the Nos. 4, 5 and 6 positions, to give the squad the 4-3 win.
The Sooners will have a day off before returning to the courts on Sunday when they will face Iowa State at 11 a.m. The match will be played at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
1. Baker/Orr (OU) def. Torres/Vanderdys (CU), 8-3
2. Milewski/Jendrian (CU) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-5
3. Anne Carter/Purice (OU) def. Losinski/Hanson (CU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Jessica Vanderdys (CU), 6-0, 6-4
2. Monica Milewski (CU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Ewa Losinski (CU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Veera Nurmi (CU) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
5. Franziska Jendrian (CU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Martina Sedivec (CU) def. Brittany Baldy (OU), 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6