March 5, 2011
FORT WORTH, Texas - The No. 19 Oklahoma women's tennis team won its sixth meet against a nationally-ranked opponent Saturday as the Sooners topped No. 75 TCU, 5-2, in Fort Worth.
“We were a little fortunate at times today and did not play as well as we did last weekend,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “We will learn from it and play a lot better next weekend, I’m looking forward to getting our Big 12 season underway.”
Oklahoma (8-2) won the doubles point to take the early lead against the Horned Frogs. The Sooners have won the doubles point in eight matches this season.
Tara Eckel and Marie-Pier Huet picked up OU's first doubles win on the day, beating TCU's Maria Babanova and Idunn Hertzberg at the No. 3 spot, 8-3.
Freshmen duo Mia Lancaster and Whitney Ritchie won at the No. 2 spot in just their third match as a pair this season, defeating TCU's Gaby Mastromarino and Olivia Smith, 9-8 (3). The duo is 2-1 over the last three matches.
The Sooners won four matches in singles to clinch the win over TCU, with two matches going into third sets.
Freshman Alice Radu won at the No. 2 spot to give OU the 2-0 lead, defeating TCU's Smith in straight-sets, 6-4, 6-3.
Lancaster added to OU's lead with her win at the No. 5 spot, also in straight-sets, over TCU's Shalini Sahoo, 6-4, 6-3.
TCU won the next two singles matches at the No. 1 and No. 4 positions, cutting OU's lead to 3-2.
Ana-Maria Constantinescu, ranked No. 79 in the country, fell to Katariina Tuohimaa of TCU at the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 7-6 (3), while Huet lost to Hertzberg, 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-4.
Senior Maria Kalashnikova won the next point at the No. 6 spot to secure the victory for OU. Kalashnikova topped Babanova, 6-3, 6-2.
Ritchie closed the match with another win for the Sooners to bring the final score to 5-2. No. 124-ranked Ritchie defeated Mastromarino after dropping the first set, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (6).
With the win, Ritchie has won five-consecutive singles matches this season.
The Sooners will get a short break before they face Colorado on Sunday, March 13 in Boulder at noon.
No. 19 Oklahoma 5, No. 75 TCU 2
1. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. #79 Ana Constantinescu (OKLA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Alice Radu (OKLA) def. Olivia Smith (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
3. #124 Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) def. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-4
5. Mia Lancaster (OKLA) def. Shalini Sahoo (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Maria Kalashnikova (OKLA) def. Maria Babanova (TCU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Federica Denti/Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. #62 Ana Constantinescu/Alice Radu (OKLA) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Mia Lancaster/Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) def. Gaby Mastromarino/Olivia Smith (TCU) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Tara Eckel/Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) def. Maria Babanova/Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) 8-3