MANHATTAN, Kan. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team (7-11, 1-5) dropped a 6-1 decision to Kansas State on Sunday at the Ahearn Field House in Manhattan.
The Wildcats took the lead after winning the doubles point in two of the three matches. Sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr fell 9-7 at the No. 1 position to Jessica Simosa and Katerina Kudlackova, but the Sooner duo of juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice answered with a 9-8 (9-7) win at the No. 3 spot against Maria Perevoschikova and Tereza Prochazkova.
The Sooners and Wildcats battled it out at No. 3, with sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Monica Purice going face-to-face with Fernanda Da Valle and Olga Klimova, but the Wildcat duo outlasted the Sooners, 9-8 (7-3) to clinch the doubles point.
Oklahoma opened singles play with a win at No. 1. Baker, who faced Perevoschikova, won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. However, the Sooners could not sustain their momentum and dropped the remaining five matches. Kansas State clinched the match with a win at the No. 3 slot, where Purice fell to Kudlackova, 7-6 (4), 7-5.
The Sooners will rest until Friday, April 7, when they host Colorado at 6 p.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. They are also set to host Iowa State on Sunday, April 9, at 12 p.m. in Norman.
1. Simosa/Kudlackova (KSU) def. Baker/Orr (OU), 9-7
2. Da Valle/Klimova (KSU) def. Baxley/ Lykina (OU), 9-8 (3)
3. Anne Carter/Purice (OU) def. Perevoschikova/Prochazkova (KSU), 9-8 (9-7)
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Maria Perevoschikova (KSU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Jessica Simosa (KSU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 7-6 (4), 7-5
4. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Olga Klimova (KSU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Tereza Prochazkova (KSU) def. Gabriela Nastasa (OU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5, 6