NORMAN, Okla. - The Oklahoma women’s tennis team ended their 2007 season Friday, April 27, in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championships. The No. 6 seeded Sooners were defeated 4-0 by No.3 seeded Texas A&M.
“It was a tough match,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “The girls competed hard; unfortunately things did not go our way.”
The doubles point was decided after Oklahoma fell 8-3 at the No. 1 spot and 8-4 at No. 2.
The Sooners were then defeated at the 1, 3, and 6 spots to give the Aggies the win.
“It was a disappointing loss,” said Johnson. “But I am proud of the way the girls have fought all season long.”
Oklahoma finished their season 9-13 overall, and 6-7 in the Big 12.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 27, 2007 at Kansas City, Mo.
#24 Texas A&M 4, Oklahoma 0
1. Anna Lubinsky (TAMU) def. Monica Purice (OU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Sarah Foster (TAMU) vs. Irina Lykina (OU) unfinished
3. Elze' Potgieter (TAMU) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Anna Blagodarova (TAMU) vs. Chelsea Orr (OU) unfinished
5. Tiffany Clifford (TAMU) vs. Anne Carter (OU) unfinished
6. Nicki Mechem (TAMU) def. Elena Antakova (OU) 6-0, 6-4
1. Tiffany Clifford/Sarah Foster (TAMU) def. Gabby Baker/Irina Lykina (OU) 8-3
2. Anna Lubinsky/Nicki Mechem (TAMU) def. Monica Purice/Christi Baxley (OU) 8-4
3. Anna Blagodarova/Michelle Sammons (TAMU) vs. Chelsea Orr/Rachael Cox (OU) unfinished