NORMAN, Okla. -- The Oklahoma men’s tennis team defeated Lamar, 5-2, on Friday at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. OU improves to 14-4 on the season while the Cardinals fall to 2-12.
“I’m proud of how we bounced back from the doubles loss and picked up five of the six singles matches,” said head coach Paul Lockwood. “We just need to improve our doubles play and we’ll be ready for Colorado on Sunday.”
Oklahoma fought hard but lost the doubles point. Junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) and Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) won the only match with a close 8-6 victory over Lamar’s Emilio Kirby and Juan Pablo Alatorre at the No. 2 spot. The duo are now 10-5 on the season.
In singles play, the Sooners only gave up one match to the Cardinals. Long battled diligently in the first set, 7-6, only to then lose the second, 4-6. The final tiebreaker was a tight finish with Lamar’s Dean Clower winning 12-10. Long is now 5-1 at the No. 6 position.
Sophomores Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.), Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.), Ivanov plus freshman Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) celebrated decisive two-set victories over their opponents. Junior Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) pulled out a three-set win over Lamar’s Emilio Kirby, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4).
The Sooners return to Big 12 competition against Colorado on Sunday, at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. Action is set to begin at 12 p.m. Admission is free.
Oklahoma 5, Lamar 2
Friday, April 2, 2004
OU Headington Family Tennis Center, Norman, Okla.
1. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Ignacio Melus (LU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Juan Pablo Alatorre (LU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Emilio Kirby (LU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Naeem Kath (LU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Javier Easton (LU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Dean Clower (LU) def. Matt Long (OU) 7-6 (5), 4-6, 0-1 (12-10)
1. Melus/Clower (LU) def. Fukala/Garrison (OU) 8-4
2. Ivanov/Matt Long (OU) def. Kirby/Alatorre (LU) 8-6
3. Capps/Kirby (LU) def. Gregg/Velicka (OU) 8-5