Nov. 11, 2010
|No. 14 Iowa State (17-6, 10-5 Big 12) at Oklahoma (18-8, 10-5 Big 12)|
|Date||Saturday, November 13, 2010 | 11 a.m. CT|
|Location||McCasland Field House | Norman, Okla.|
|Promotions||Fan Appreciation Day|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma volleyball team continues its homestand Saturday morning, hosting No. 14 Iowa State at 11 a.m. CT at McCasland Field House. Admission is free on fan appreciation day and t-shirts will be handed out to the first 250 fans in attendance. Live stats are available at SoonerSports.com.
Oklahoma swept Colorado Wednesday evening (-8, -16, -17) in one hour nine minutes, its quickest match since last season. The Sooners hit .337 as a team and had six service aces to down the Buffaloes. The Cyclones were off Wednesday and have lost two of their last three, previously falling 3-1 to Missouri on Nov. 6.
Oklahoma leads the all-time series with the Cyclones, 42-24 and holds a 21-8 advantage in matches played in Norman. OU is 8-5 against ISU under head coach Santiago Restrepo and 3-3 in Norman during that same span. OU is 0-2 against a ranked Iowa State team. The Cyclones are the seventh ranked team the Sooners face this year.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma made quick work of Colorado Wednesday evening, downing the Buffaloes in straight sets (-8, -16, -17) in one hour, nine minutes.
- It was the quickest match for Oklahoma since sweeping Nicholls State in 1:05 last season.
- CU’s eight points was the lowest total allowed by OU during the first four sets in a conference match in the rally scoring era (2001-present).
- Oklahoma is 8-3 at home this season and 5-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-3 on the road and 5-3 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week on Nov. 1. She previously earned the honor October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 30 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 26th in the nation with 1.29 bps.
- McLaurin’s average is the third-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year .
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for BS (26), BA (93) and blocks per set average (1.29).
- McLaurin has 68 blocks in Big 12 play (18 BS/50 BA), a freshman mark last reached by Baylor’s Torri Campbell in 2009 (6 BS/66 BA/72 TB).
- The last freshman to have more total blocks in conference play was Kansas’ Josiane Lima in 2002 (15 BS/59 BA/74 TB).
- In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 18 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- McLaurin’s 119 TB are also an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. It’s the most since Anna Stadel’s 121 in 2007.
- Junior Brianne Barker is the sixth Sooner setter to record 3,000-plus career assists. Barker has 3,067 assists.
- Barker averages 10.11 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league and 86th in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.48 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 23 matches this year.
- Boulavsky’s 345 kills this season are an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. The previous was set by Boulavsky in 2009 (320).
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has seven matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 15 service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .340 hitting percentage. She’s 89th in the nation in the category.
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team.
A LOOK AT IOWA STATE
- Iowa State is 17-6 overall with a 10-5 mark in league play. The Cyclones are No. 14 in the lastest AVCA Division I Coaches Poll.
- ISU is 5-3 on the road this year with all three losses coming in Big 12 play (at Texas, at Kansas and at Nebraska).
- Victoria Henson leads the team and conference with 4.33 kills per set.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series with Iowa ate, 42-24 and holds a 20-8 advantage in matches played in Norman.
- Oklahoma is 7-6 against the Cyclones under head coach Santiago Restrepo and xxx in Norman during that same span.
- The two teams have evenly split the last 10 meetings in Norman. OU’s last home loss to CU was on Sept. 24, 2005 (3-2).
- Oklahoma is 8-52 all-time against ranked opponents and 0-6 this season. OU is 3-35 against top 15 teams under Restrepo.
- The Sooners are xx all-time against a ranked Iowa State team and xx against a ranked Cyclones team under Restrepo.
- Iowa State swept OU in Ames on Sept. 25 in the first series meeting this season (-13, -19, -23).