NORMAN, Okla.- The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team played its final match of a week-long road trip, Sunday in Austin against the University of Texas.
The Longhorns defeated the Sooners 6-1, taking an early 1-0 lead by claiming victory at all three doubles spots. Oklahoma, who was forced to pull junior Gabby Baker out of Saturday’s singles lineup against Texas A&M, decided to pull her out of doubles on Sunday.
“It was a week full of tough matches,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “We decided we needed her at singles, so we pulled her from doubles to give her a break.”
Johnson moved his No. 2 duo of Christi Baxley and Monica Purice up to the one spot. He then added senior Anne Carter to the doubles lineup, playing her and Irina Lykina at No. 2.
In singles, the Sooners lone victory came from senior Monica Purice at the No. 2 position. Purice had struggled to find her rhythm since OU had been on the road, but she found it against Petra Dizdar, defeating her in straight sets 6-3, 6-0.
Lykina’s four-match winning streak ended Sunday when she fell to Longhorn Stephanie Davison, 6-4, 6-1.
“Texas is always a tough team,” said Johnson. “We just have to play more consistent.”
The Sooners are 9-5 on the season and 2-3 in conference play.
OU will take a week off before returning to its home courts on Saturday, March 31 to host Kansas State at 11 a.m.
Oklahoma 1, Texas 6
3/ 25/ 07 at Austin, Texas
1. No. 61 Vanja Corovic (UT) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Monica Purice (OU) def. Petra Dizdar (UT) 6-3, 6-0
3. Stephanie Davison (UT) def. Christie Baxley (OU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Sarah Lancaster (UT) vs. Irina Lykina (OU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Ristine Olson (UT) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Jane Pringle (UT) def. Anne Carter (OU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Dizdar/ Olson (UT) def. Purice/ Baxley (OU) 8-2
2. Corovic/ Milic (UT) def. Carter/ Lykina (OU) 8-2
3. Davison/ Pringle (UT) def. Cox/ Orr (OU) 8-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2*, 1
Singles: 1, 2, 5, 3, 6*, 4