Women's Tennis Falls to No. 1 Stanford
Jan. 29, 2011
STANFORD, Calif. – The 39th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to reigning national champion and No. 1 ranked Stanford, 6-1, Saturday in the final round of ITA Kick-Off Weekend at Stanford.
Oklahoma (2-1) finished second in the Stanford region after beating 29th-ranked UNLV on Friday.
The Sooners jumped to an early 1-0 lead on the Cardinal as OU rallied to win the doubles point after dropping the first doubles match at the No. 2 position.
“Yet again, our doubles was outstanding today,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “We showed this weekend that we can play with the best doubles teams in the country.”
Senior Ana-Maria Constantinescu and freshman Alice Radu, ranked No. 31 nationally in doubles, defeated Stanford’s Hillary Barte and Stacey Tan at the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-1.
OU clinched the doubles point after Senior Tara Eckel and junior Marie-Pier Huet topped Veronica Li and Carolyn McVeigh of Stanford, 8-5, at the No. 3 spot.
The Sooners lost all six singles points to the Cardinal who has four players ranked in the top 80 individually in singles.
“In singles Stanford showed us why they are the defending champs,” Mullins said. “I was proud of how we fought and forced Stanford to execute at a high level.”
Senior Maria Kalashnikova won the first set against Stanford’s Tan, but eventually fell to the 47th-ranked player, 3-6, 6-1, 6-0.
“We got a lot out of this weekend and it shows that we are ready for some tough tests in the future,” Mullins said.
OU returns home to Norman to face Arkansas as the Sooners host Campus Kids Day on Sunday, Feb. 6 at 12:30 p.m. Fans in attendance can win various prizes, including a brand new tennis racquet. OU will also host a serving contest and free kids clinic after the match.
No. 1 Stanford 6, No. 39 Oklahoma 1
1. No. 31 Constantinescu/Radu (OKLA) def. Barte/Tan (STAN) 8-1
2. Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) def. Kalashnikova/Ritchie (OKLA) 8-1
3. Huet/Eckel (OKLA) def. Li/McVeigh (STAN) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 5 Hilary Barte (STAN) def. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OKLA) 6-0, 6-2
2. No. 23 Kristie Ahn (STAN) def. Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) 6-1, 6-0
3. No. 80 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) 6-0, 6-2
4. No. 47 Stacey Tan (STAN) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OKLA) 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Veronica Li (STAN) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OKLA) 6-4, 6-0
6. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Tara Eckel (OKLA) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6