Feb. 17, 2008
OKLAHOMA CITY - No. 33 Oklahoma (4-2) lost 4-3 to the Arkansas Razorbacks (6-3) on Sunday at Willow Creek Golf and Country Club.
OU jumped out to the early lead as the Sooners won all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Andrei Daescu and Federico Chavarria, playing No. 1 doubles, defeated the Hogs duo of Colin Mascall and Blake Strode, 8-5, to begin the night.
Ryan Thomas and Ionut Beleleu followed up by defeating Matthew Hogan and Dmitry Lebedev, 9-8, to claim the doubles point.
Alexandru Joitoiu and Vlad Marinescu defeated Branden Joost and Tyler Tarnasky, 9-7, to sweep the doubles matches.
"We just didn't play good tennis today and it ended up costing us the match," head coach Paul Lockwood said. "I don't take anything away from Arkansas they played well enough to win and that was the difference."
Daescu, ranked No. 21 in the country in singles play, was beaten for the first time this season as Strode knocked him off 6-3, 6-4 in No. 1 singles. The loss moved his season record to 5-1.
Playing No. 2 singles Beleleu defeated Mascall, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. The victory put Oklahoma ahead 2-1.
Hogan defeated Joitoiu at No. 3 singles, 7-5, 7-5. Arkansas also picked up the victory at No. 4 singles as Marinescu was defeated by Christopher Nott, 7-6, 6-2.
OU tied it back up at 3-3 with a win at No. 5 singles; Chavarria defeated Bradwin Williams 6-4, 6-3.
The match came down to the No. 6 singles contest between Thomas and Lebedev. The Arkansas sophomore took the match and gave the Hogs the win with his 6-2, 7-5 victory.
"This match today shows us what we need to improve on and this will make us better down the road," Lockwood continued. "We can't let this get us down because we have a big match with Tulsa next week and we need to get back to work and prepare for a tough test."
Next, the Sooners travel up Interstate-44 on Thursday, Feb. 28, as Tulsa plays host at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
Arkansas 4, Oklahoma 3
1. Andrei Daescu/Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Colin Mascall/Blake Strode (UA), 8-5
2. Ryan Thomas/Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Matt Hogan/Dmitry Lebedev (UA), 9-8
3. Alexandru Joitoiu/Vlad Marinescu (OU) def. Branden Joost/Tyler Tarnasky (UA), 9-7
1. Blake Strode (UA) def. Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Colin Mascall (UA), 7-6, 6-2
3. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Alex Joitoiu (OU), 7-5, 7-5
4. Christopher Nott (UA) def. Vlad Marinescu (OU), 7-6, 6-2
5. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Bradwin Williams (UA), 6-4, 6-3
6. Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Ryan Thomas (OU), 6-2, 7-5